URL column issue = bad 'URL' not shown

I’d like to report an issue with the URL column type. In a nutshell, the problem I came across was that when an invalid url was put in a URL column, the url and link were not shown but the header was. I have figured out a solution but perhaps AppSheet should check the issue out. Also, I hope the solution I report may help other people making apps that use the URL column type.

First, here’s my set up. The app user (a student) types or pastes in the a URL (‘URL’ column) and the text that will be used to display it (‘Source’ column).

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.55.54

The ‘Source’ column was of the TEXT type and the ‘URL’ column was of the URL type. Since then, I have changed the ‘URL’ column to the TEXT type and that has resolved my problem.

To continue my description of the issue I encountered, the data from these two columns is combined in a virtual column called ‘Link’:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 12.11.13

In this configuration, here’s what happened:

A valid ‘URL’ with a blank ‘Source’ . . .

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.56.30

produced a valid URL with the URL displayed as the text:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.56.39

However, a nonsense ‘URL’ produced a heading with nothing under it:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.57.05

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.57.39

What you see above is what was displayed after the sync. Before the sync was complete I saw this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.57.17

After changing the ‘URL’ column to the TEXT type, I get the nonsense link, just as you see it above, which is what I want. If there’s a problem with the link, I would prefer that the user get an error when trying to use it instead of an empty column.

Finally, this issue may be related to the following:

I’m tagging @morgan since he is the one who solved that one.