I’m building an inspection app for work that is going to require some level of audit logs/trail to data changes, and was wondering if someone could help me out a little or even point me in the right direction. My data source is called “Inspections”. The information I want to record is
- Data changed (before/after values)
- Data changed by Whom
- Data changed When
I’ve got a post that pointed me in the right direction here ([_THISROW_BEFORE] / [_THISROW_AFTER] Template Generator - #2 by GreenFlux) I believe, and I was hoping someone could weigh in on this.
It seems this is how this would need to happen.
- Monitor table “Inspections” for changes. I think this is done with “Events” (changes to table).
- I need to Set the Data in a Table called “Audit”. I believe I would do this with “Actions”
- I need to somehow pass the data from the “Event” ThisRow to the Action.
- I’m not sure I can pass data from Events to Actions like before thisrow, after, etc. If I can’t then there’s no way for me to use actions.
- Maybe I should use a webhook to connect back to Appsheet’s API to make the change in the background.
I’m hoping someone with more experience can take a peek at this, and perhaps offer some knowledge on and point me in the direction of which route would actually work to make this happen. Perhaps save me some time of trying to create these with some frustration and running up against problems I’m unaware of.
Thanks so much!