User-Driven Re-sort of Deck View UX

We have a variety of UX views where it’d be really nice if the user could sort a deck view themselves after some initial system-driven sort does the initial population of the deck view.

For example, for lists of tasks we push to our technicians, they are best positioned to figure out how best to sort them and would like to be able to do that to plan our their days.

Status Open
1 9 557
9 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

You could create that with a virtual column and usersettings… with the Usersettings you could control how the virtual column is calculated and then sort with that column.

Scott_Hall

@Aleksi

Would you be able to elaborate on this a bit? What do you mean by user settings?

I have a similar goal as Nick here. Would like for the user to be able to sort their view of “jobs” for the day in the order they want.

Was hoping to create an action on the deck view that would raise or lower the [sort] column in increments of 1 and then have the deck view sorted by the [sort] column. So the user could click the action and and create a sorted list…for instance “1-6” and thereby sort the view.

How would my idea compare to what you are suggesting?

Thanks.

Aleksi
Staff

Let’s say you want to change the order with Usersettings… you could have an Enum field in Usersettings like your column names. Then you can write an appformula in virtual column like…
SWITCH(Usersettings(“ColumnName”),
ColA,[ColA],
ColB,[ColB],
[ColC]).
With this way you can change it as you wish.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Scott_Hall

I’ve read thru this but don’t understand how this guidance helps the user sort their own deck view. I must be missing something I guess.

Aleksi
Staff

@Scott_Hall Please check the sample app “Sort sample” from www.appsheet.com/portfolio/531778

Scott_Hall

@Aleksi This is cool as it shows a feature I didn’t know was available. Should come in handy at some point. Though it doesn’t meet the exact need of the original thread question as far as I understand it. The idea was to design a way in which the user could sort a deck view showing the day’s deliveries in the order the driver/ users preferred. The example shared is sorting based on column values which have to be set when editing a record.

In my app I’ve created a number column in the record that can be set to reflect the order in which the drive makes their stops. But a user has to edit each record and assign that column value to 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and sort the deck view by the column. Time consuming.

As a feature it would be great if the user could sort the deck view on their device directly from the deck view. Drag and drop? Wishful thinking I know, but and idea worth considering.

Thank you again for all you do to help app designers learn the platform and develop on the AppSheet platform.

Aleksi
Staff

So… would it be enough to sort records into groups?

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager