Using a workflow from an Uneditable view

I use appsheet connected to a database. I have a view connecting all the data needed for a pdf attachment. I am trying to create an email using a workflow, but cant figure out how to trigger it. In short is there a way to trigger a workflow from an update to a different table in the same app?

Solved Solved
0 8 334
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Steve,

I used an appsheet partner but I figured I would write the solve for anyone else. Essentially in one of the two columns where the data is being aggregated, you add a virtual column equal to the common KEY. Make that column a reference to the aggregated data. Letโ€™s name that virtual column โ€œFโ€. Then you can just put [F].[Col1] and [F].[Col2] in the google doc and it works!

Thanks again for all the help!

Dan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

No, not exactly. The workflow trigger itself will be tied to the table it runs on. But you can use Action - Perform an action on a set of rows to trigger the workflow from another table.

Another approach is to add a [Trigger] column to your table and edit that column to trigger the workflow.

I use a hidden text column, and save the value:
USEREMAIL() & ", triggerKeyword, " & NOW()

Then you can use SPLIT(INDEX()) to see which user, triggered which workflow, and when.

Would the action - perform an action on a set of rows work if the table it not editable? Its a view of multiple tables in a databaseโ€ฆ

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

A read-only table in AppSheet cannot trigger a workflow; a data change is required to trigger a workflow.

A workflow can use data from any table available to the app. Thereโ€™s nothing that requires that the table that triggers the workflow must contain any data used in the generated report.

Do you need to specify the table in the google doc? Full_data[col 1]. How does it know where to look for the data. There could be multiple columns with the same name in different tables? Or do you have to write a start expression

Youโ€™d need to either use a <<Start>> expression or use individual LOOKUP() expressions for each value. Iโ€™d think a <<Start>> expression that produces the one row in which youโ€™re interested would be easiest to work with.

I am circling back on this Steve. i still canโ€™t figure it out. I tried a few different <> with not luck. I attached a video to hopefully help.

Iโ€™m afraid Iโ€™m unprepared to offer the help youโ€™d need here: someone will need to dive into you app configuration. This might be something support@appsheet.com may help with, or you might consider engaging an AppSheet partner.

Hi Steve,

I used an appsheet partner but I figured I would write the solve for anyone else. Essentially in one of the two columns where the data is being aggregated, you add a virtual column equal to the common KEY. Make that column a reference to the aggregated data. Letโ€™s name that virtual column โ€œFโ€. Then you can just put [F].[Col1] and [F].[Col2] in the google doc and it works!

Thanks again for all the help!

Dan

Top Labels in this Space