Using timestamp as Key

Hi,
My app was used to count inventory items by a several people simultaneously on separate locations. I used timestamp column as my key and everything seem worked fine except I noticed and couldnโ€™t explain why some row data entries was tag to the wrong user. I used useremail() as initial value per firm entries. That said, Iโ€™m worried now about a few things.

1. Could this conflict be due to the timestamp used as Key?
  2. Did it change only the username and no entries was lost along the way?
    Iโ€™ve made unique ID now as my key. But you guys could clarify my queries.
0 9 1,565
9 REPLIES 9

Yes itโ€™s possible if two users are filling the form at the same time. Not very easily but this can happen.

Thanks for confirming.

However, I believe that the user column set with Initial value โ€œuseremail()โ€ was mixed up during the simultaneous data transmission, but Iโ€™m also concerned if there is a possibility of data loss during that instance? Otherwise, weโ€™ll have to redo the inventory count again.

Usually if Appsheet detects a duplicate key it will give you a yellow warning and tell you the row numbers.

Maybe a couple of people are sharing a login? You can see what login they are using by looking at the top of the menu section.

Or could 1 person create the row and someone else later come along and edit it? In that case, because its an initial value, UserEmail() would remain the same

Simon@1minManager.com

Iโ€™ve never seen this. Where does this occur?

Iโ€™ve just tested it on an App and I canโ€™t make it appear. But I have seen it a few times before. Like I said, it tells you the row number.

We didnโ€™t detect any errors. No people sharing a login, no duplicate timestamp and form entries seem accurate.

The only confusion was some entries like items/location was was not possible to have been sent by the user. Therefore, this is the only conflict Iโ€™ve observed.

PS: Iโ€™ve not added a text column with UNIQUEID() as the initial value.
Thank you!

Ami
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I have an app that was used in my local timezone and in thailand, that caused info that was sorted by time and date to be mixed up. Once there was even a duplicate time stamp.

I have also made bad experiences using Timestamp as a key. Thatโ€™s why I start using a text column with UNIUEID() as the initial value.

Top Labels in this Space