"Ux groupe by" can't select twice same column?

Hi i need to ask why are we no longer allowed to select in “group by” same column twice?
It was of great help when you need to narrow down views by category.

2 24 1,208
  • UX
24 REPLIES 24

I noticed that the other day too, still haven’t heard from the team about it.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

How can something be grouped by a column twice?

It would give you a drill down, same functionality from the table view

But drill down into a column you’ve already drilled into? What effect would that have?

Hi Steve, it was a great help when you need to narrow down large table, it groups twice the same column and then you can see into one group at the time.

Grouping by the same column twice is a common use. I hope it hasnt been discontinued.

Yes it has

Does anyone from Appsheet know if this is permanent?

@praveen Just wondering if this is on the radar?

It’s always been the “recommended” approach for this to group first by the column and then by _RowNumber. This gives you the desired behavior, I think.

We hadn’t realized anyone was grouping by the same column twice! It doesn’t seem very meaningful.

I thought everybody grouped by the same column twice . It shortens your list and is very handy. @MultiTech_Visions @Aleksi

I’m missing something that all my customers know!! :]
Could one of you show me a screenshot of what you get by grouping on the same column twice? And then show me a screenshot of the same table grouped by the column and then by _RowNumber.

That would help me understand what is missing. Thanks

Sure , I made a new view as I didnt want to loose my double grouping .

If you add the row number you do get the double grouping thing , but I have never done it that way before.

Grouping by RowNumber after the original grouping column does work, I found one difference.

So here’s the view with grouping by client twice
2X_7_7221f052c2ecc12411e6e6e5b0bdd069a0587d5e.png

When you tap on an option, you get the group name at the top:
2X_8_875784ad5947aa40ffbd8c1b67613cb74ef0bb12.png

Here’s the view grouped with the RowNumber
2X_4_4189d4ea8c131d58ddd5541442f956a8b1608328.png

And when you tap on an option, the grouping IS NOT shown, but the list is:
2X_c_ca9869c1ee03d46f4c93b5bb7dfd5716f6468bb9.png

I was actually completely unaware that using RowNumber was the “recommended” way of doing this; years ago when this grouping functionality was first established, this is how we always did it.

I guess it’s a matter of preference whether or not showing the grouping on the second page of the drilldown is a helpful/good thing; but ultimately the functionality of the drilldown remains the same.

Hi
What program are you using to note your images? The arrows, text box’s, etc?

Thanks,

Josh

This service/program is amazing; super easy to use and get really nice results.

ok, let’s assume then that we are all set by using _RowNumber instead of repeating the column.

Both approaches are arcane, I admit.

I am somewhat amazed I had never seen the double column grouping before despite the thousands of apps I have looked at/debugged/etc. Or maybe I have seen it, but am just getting old :]

@praveen I have used it a lot

Me to! clients are very happy with it.

I noticed one difference: when you select the All option, they are no longer grouped and instead simply listed out.

Here’s what you get with double grouping (left over from an earlier app where I have this already implemented):
2X_f_fd208fa77b697110798732bcf4f44bbbc7b70fe2.gif

Here’s what you get when using the rownumber method:
2X_f_f173887d348e08aa049f1fa70888c3c7eebad110.gif

@praveen A lot of the sample Apps have double grouping of the same column. It could be confusing for new users to not be able to do this when they make their own apps?

HI again, I have to ask will it be enabled to group same column twice?
Because it is not the same when you do it like @praveen explained…

Top Labels in this Space