Valid if returns "This Entry is Invalid"

I’m using a Valid if statement to bring a dropdown list of names into a report: SORT(Graffiti Contacts[Name]). The list automatically gets undated from another system. This works fine. When the reported issue has been fixed, the report is edited to indicate the work is complete. But if the person who made the initial report has left the Graffiti team, the edited report returns “This Entry is Invalid” because it cannot find their name.

I tried to fix this by adding a Required if statement: ISBLANK ([_THISROW].[Work Status]). For a new report the Work Status will be blank so the Name entry is required. For an existing report the Work Status always already exists so the Name entry should not be required. I hoped this would clear the error “This Entry is Invalid” but it has not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob

0 5 936
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Instead of using Valid If to generate the list, use Suggested values.

I found this solution from you in another post. Wouldn’t this allow people to pick from the list but also enter any name they want instead? If so that would jeopardize backend tracking systems.

Bob

Yep.

Reading back over your problem description, you could try this as your Valid If expression:

IF(
  ISBLANK([Work Status]),
  SORT(Graffiti Contacts[Name]),
  LIST([_THIS])
)

The formula below almost works. But if someone makes entries out of order, like taking the photo before entering their name, the name entry does not show up at all. Is this caused by the then part: LIST([_THIS], and if so, is there an alternative?

IF(
ISBLANK([Image1]),
SORT(Graffiti Contacts[Name]),
LIST([_THIS])
)

I solved this by adding Show if to the Image1 field: [_THISROW].[Name] <> “”. This forces Name entry before Image1 entry.

Big Thanks Steve!

Bob

Top Labels in this Space