Variable minimum and maximum values of column

Please add the ability to set maximum and minimum values of columns of the types Number, Decimal, etc using formulas. It is that different rows may have different limitations. And, although the problem can be partially solved by using the percentage over the variable maximum instead of the value itself, it is important to be able to enter the absolute value, for example, using the Range display mode, within the variable and insurmountable limits, without having to go to the annoying Data Validation messages.Thank you.

Status Open
16 8 1,199
8 Comments
Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

To what does this refer?

Oleksandr_Yarem

I mean the following awkward situation. I want to put a variable upper bound to a number entered using Range display mode. But since I can’t make it variable, I set a much higher fixed value. In order not to exceed the desired variable limit, I take advantage of the possibility of using expressions in the Data Validation option, so the system does not allow me to enter a value that is too large and warns me. But then the introduction is done by trial and error, adjusting the slider several times. On the other hand, if the Maximum and Minimum Values could be expressed with formulas, the slider would always move within the limits, without the need to validate data.

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Yah, this is a legit request. It took me a while to understand exactly what you were saying though. So here are some screenshots to better show the point:

The config for [number] column, and its valid_if that gives dynamic range under a few different cases. Notice that the Maximum value is set to handle ranges in ALL possible cases.

3X_a_3_a3d09a8539379eefabefd1a405ec92a4214d475c.png

The [number] column in a Form view in the App:

3X_0_e_0e784964aed9a52ae6136e931824b01843ef8209.png
3X_e_9_e95a0279fbccead4a9118357585e63a3a08a58a2.png
3X_3_2_3262dc7ef61941e0e27c547f11160a2c265d97c5.png

As you can see, the valid_if restricts the valid range of the input, to a smaller range than the entered min/max, which is very much NOT user-friendly.

The request here is simply that these 2 settings can have expression inputs:

Oleksandr_Yarem

Exactly, Marc. Imagine a warehouse with merchandise that is shipped out. Each item is delivered in a quantity that must not exceed the stock and must be multiple to the number of units in a package. In addition, the minimum quantity dispatched must be equal to that of a package. So I modify my request. The three things: Minimum Value, Maximum Value and the Increase/Decrease Step should be expressed with formulas.
Please excuse my English which is not my language.

Oleksandr_Yarem

Hello people, I also humbly ask for your votes in favor of the proposed change to all those who touched the “heart”. Thanks

alphacp
Silver 2
Silver 2

Voted

I wanted to use a range control to enter the number of damaged items in a box of stuff but sometimes there is a total of 3 items in a box and other times there is a total of 100 items in a box. The range needs to be variable. The only alternative I have at the moment is to have multiple columns, each with a sensible range (1-5, 1-20 and 1-100 for example) and only show the one that makes the best sense. Its very messy.

Oleksandr_Yarem

Yet another example. You’re right, it’s very messy. It is embarrassing to present the tricks you have described to the user. Thank you very much for your vote.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager