Very basic Help?

Not sure if this is possible/how but…

I’m building on the sample app inventory 2.0
In the product category detail view, under the picture it shows “aisle” and “shelf”

Instead, is there a way to make it show total number of units available in that category?

If so, what is it called and where does it go?

I’m VERY new to this and can’t quite figure out the basics no matter hour many countless hours I spend watching and rewatching tutorials lol

Also, when’s the expression if I want to have the initial value reflect what’s in the products table, “current quantity”column, row referenced by the produc id?

Thanks SO much in advance :slight_smile:

This is the link to the base sample app I’m using.

Umm, this is a link to an office hours video not to the app. Did you insert the wrong link?

You can find the most current sample apps with the link below. You can change the Function dropdown to “Inventory Management” to see several variations of this type of app

https://www.appsheet.com/SampleApps/Index/account

There are a number of ways to achieve showing a Total of something. It depends on what design you are aiming for.

For example, you could show the units in a view grouped by category where each grouping automatically includes the count of the items within that group.

Or you could use an expression to set a column with the count.

What would help, is to include a screen shot and describe the changes you’d like to make.

3 Likes

Oops, not sure why it gave the link to the video when I’m trying to give the link for the sample app in the info (it’s not in the regular sample apps, it’s hidden in the support section)

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-for-streamlining-inventory-updates?appGuidString=225f95e5-27f6-49db-8c47-05cd309f4c2f

Im also having an incredibly hard time getting picture links to show up…
I was able to borrow some from the web for now, but when I try to use my google image links, they don’t work and when I try to upload one from the app, it goes straight to my camera and doesn’t give me the option to upload a image from my device…

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks so much in advanced. Any help is much appreciated.
Hopefully that works

Late last night I was able to somehow come up with an expression that worked to show the value of another column based off the product id. (YEY!! Had a serious socially distant party by myself when that worked!)

But, I’m VERY unfamiliar with “expressions” and would kill to know more about how to build them… is there a specific language they’re called? That I can search for an learn more about how to build them?

I still can’t figure out an expression to reflect that, instead of the “aisle” and “shelf” number, I’d like to show total number of products in that category

(I sell merch for touring bands…since everything is cancelled right now, I’m trying to use my time to come up with an easy system for keeping track of sales and I absolutely LOVE how appsheet does this with spreadsheets since previously I’d have to manually enter everything late at night after I counted out)

Now it doesn’t give me an option to add a image at all :confused:

Exactly how to do this will depend on how you are actually using all of the tables in this app. I’ll make some assumptions for now

In the Sample app there is a Products table. In that table there is a value named “Current Inventory” which I assume is to be the count of that particular product. Let’s say its a certain style and size of a Hoodie. BUT, you will have different sizes and styles of Hoodies, each with their own Product row representing them.

All of these have the category of “Hoodies” in the Product Category table

So…if you wanted to also show the number of ALL Hoodies, you would need to ADD a Virtual Column called, for example, “Total Items” in the Product Category table.

Then you would set the “App Formula” of this column to an expression similar to:

SUM(SELECT(Products[Current Inventory], [Product Category] = [_THISROW].[Category]))

To explain:

First, the SELECT() returns a List of [Current Inventory] where Product Category matches Category. In this case “Hoodies”

Second, SUM(), obviously, will add all of the values in the list together to give you a total.

This expression will be applied to each Category table row separately so you get a total count for each.

2 Likes

YES YES YES!!!
thank you SO much!!!

Now…how do I learn these “expressions” so I can come up with them myself? :confused:
Is there a specific name for the language?
I’d really like to learn more on how to understand them and build expressions myself

Again, thank you SO much! That was exactly what I was trying to do :smiley:

In the Community menu at the top of this page, under “My Account” there is an option for “Support”. That actually will open another window where you can search for knowledge base topics. Type in “Expressions” and you’ll get a list of articles. I would start by reading the “The Essentials” article.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions here though!!

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

Is there another common use or name for these expressions that I could look on YouTube for? (I’m more of a visual learner and it’s easier for me to learn from seeing things in action)

If not, all good, thank you SO much for your help!

I can only suggest to go to the Support page and enter in Expressions and then scroll down to see other groups of expressions.

I would recommend looking at the SELECT() expression and the Conditional expressions to start with. these will probably be used most frequently.

2 Likes

So I added 2 columns to sale: venue and venue “address”- set to latlong with initial value of here() - so I can track sales by venue on a map…

Problem is, even if I’m in the same place, the latlong always picks up slightly different locations (1)…is there a way I can do this so it picks up that all these sales are at the same location? Or no?..

Basically, I’m trying to figure out a way to see total sales by “venue”/location

Also, at the bottom of the screen it shows the latlong, is there a way to change this to the venue name?..I can’t seem to find an option for this.

And finally, if at some point I come across someone willing to help me with this, is there a way to share this so they can see the app and tell me how I can make changes?
Or is that pretty much what “sharing the app” does? (I’ve yet to share or deploy yet because I don’t fully understand what they mean and with no events coming up, I don’t want to start paying for the app before I even know when I’ll be able to actually USE it)

Thanks again! Ya’ll are awesome!

Create a Deck View using as the datasource the same table or slice you used as the Primary Data Table in your Map View. The map will automatically pick up that Deck view description to use at the bottom of the map. Then you can change that Deck view however you need for the data display.

1 Like

Any idea how to “express” this?
Comps= free/give away items, so I don’t want it including them in the total gross of items sold that I’m trying to achieve.

These are also all right column headers…

I must be doing something wrong, I tried putting it in ()’s but that didn’t work either

Tia!

Your expression is fine. There is something not correct with the data types.

First double check the data type of [product id].[price]

I am not sure it matters, but try adding spaces around the math operators.

Lastly, break down the expression into pieces to see which field is causing it to fail. Then take a closer look at that field.

2 Likes

The expression was working until I added -[comps]
:confused:

Ah! Got it… somehow by changing the column type of the product id from text to name…

But my equation wasn’t quite right, but I figure that out too to be:
[product id].[price] *[quantity sold]-[product id].[price] *[comps]

Thanks for the tips where to check!

1 Like

Do you know if it’s possible to populate a single calendar view with information from different sources?

Like, say I wanted to have an events calendar, but also wanted to link the expenses to show on the same day on the calendar…is that possible?

Not possible, unfortunately.

1 Like

@Road_Dog_Supply_Co

@Steve is correct…its not yet possible…at least directly!

You could craft a dedicated table designed to house ONLY items to show on the calendar.

For example, when a new event is entered, have a Workflow ALSO enter a row into the Calendar table. When an expense item is entered, ALSO add a row in the Calendar table. Repeat for any other entities you wish to display on the calendar.

Now you have the ability to mix calendar entries from different sources.

NOTE: You wouldn’t be able navigate to, say, an event row directly. Unfortunately, the Calendar view doesn’t provide a “Row Selected” Behavior like other views.

But, if you save the row ID and other needed information into the calendar row, when you tap a calendar item and go to that item’s Detail view, you can have an Action to go to the desired end row (e.g. event row).

Not ideal but also not overly intrusive to user expectations and better than having nothing at all!

2 Likes