View actions in Dashboard Interactive Mode

Hello! I am creating a messaging app and have set a Dashboard view to show the inbox and the message detail in one view, it is working great! What is not working so well is marking the message as read. Before setting up the dashboard I had created a sequence of actions called “Open Message” which set the value of column READ to TRUE and then opened the detailed view of the message. I then set this action as the row click action in the view behavior dropdown. This works when NOT in the dashboard view. It appears when in dashboard view, the view behaviors are ignored. Is there a work-around to this or perhaps a better way of tracking when a detailed view of a record is opened (IE when a message has been read)? Thanks in advance for the help!

0 21 2,196
  • UX
21 REPLIES 21

Show that action button as “Display Prominently” on your detail view.

Perhaps I didn’t explain it well. The action is not a button, rather the behavior when a row is clicked in the Inbox (Deck View) of the dashboard.

Location where action is defined as row click in the Inbox view:
2X_c_c9059bd98bbadd393b3f127b4506395a206bf96b.png

The Open Message action is a group of two actions. The first action sets the value of a column called READ to TRUE. The second action opens the record.

I remember trying to do something similar and it not working. Tagging @Phil

I want something similar. Wat is the detail of the Action to OPEN the Message?

Henry, here is a screenshot of the grouped action:
2X_2_2fc9c7b716ce03236237a92d876c56b076105a4a.png
The first action SHOULD set the message to Read
The second action actually navigates to the message detail

This works great when not in interactive dashboard mode. I believe the interactive dashboard mode must override the row level actions and just open the record, which essentially ignores the action chain I created.

Thank you Liz.
What is your 2nd Action behaviour to go to the detail?

Henry, here is the screenshot:
2X_7_71b65cb2fd2609981834db454c14ed9acdfb1652.png

Any other thoughts on a solution for this?

If you have a table and detail view in the same interactive Dashboard view, why can’t you use the action button in the detail view?

typically in a messaging system you shouldn’t have to click a button to “mark a message as read”, simply clicking on the message and viewing it should logically trigger this action. I can create this workflow outside of the interactive dashboard using the method I described with the row click action, but this doesn’t seem to work in interactive dashboard view and I am just seeking a workaround if one exists.

Any luck trying to fix this? I am in the same boat. When it is in the dashboard view it does not work. This would be a great feature to fix so that we can have a more intuitive flow that is similar to messaging apps out there. @Aleksi @PeakPerformance Have you had any luck yet?

Have not found a solution to get the functionality I want. I have moved back to a non-dashboard functionality where the user clicks on the message (row action marks as read and links to detailed view) and the message is viewed in a different screen. Not ideal.

Action buttons in a Dashboard view is already created and it’s in a testing phase at this moment.

Great, I look forward to utilizing the feature when it is ready. Thank you!

any news about it?

The feature for this is released maybe few months ago so you should be able to use it.

OK Aleksi,
where can i found informations about how to use it?
Thks again

You can find it from UX > Options > Show overlay actions in dashboards

Ok Alesksi,
I activated this option, but which is the next step?
i created a initial dashboard but now I don’t know how to add actions in it.

br

You need to add action to your tables that you will use with your Dashboard view. Then you need to set the action’s option “Display prominence” as “Display overlay”

Top Labels in this Space