We are looking at creating a mySQL database t...

We are looking at creating a mySQL database that will have several apps developed for different users.

The first phase will just be development and testing while we are waiting on the “official” database to get up and running.

My question is this - if we get everything setup and get the apps working the way we want is it possible to change the tables and maintain all the expressions, slices, format/UX work done on the appsheet side?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

0 23 571
23 REPLIES 23

Absolutely! You can even have different tables in different platforms, so you don’t even have to move all tables at once.

What do you mean by different platforms? Would that be Smartsheet vs mySQL vs ???

This is excellent news btw!

Thank you!

@Mary_Jane_Pender @praveen

Is it possible to have a public facing form even if the apps we build are not public?

I will say I seemed to have more formatting options with Formstack and was able to “brand” the application so it looked more professional than the forms I’ve been able to do in Appsheet.

@Tammi_Canelli You could have a public-facing app that shares the data-collection table with the non-public apps.

@Tammi_Canelli It would be interesting to know what kind of features you can use with the Formstack… in generally.

Here’s a link to one of the online apps using formstack: scgovmedicalneeds.formstack.com - Sarasota County Medical Needs Application - Formstack

+Steve Coile would the public facing app have to be available

for download for individuals or just a link on our website?

Sarasota County Medical Needs Application - Formstack scgovmedicalneeds.formstack.com

@Tammi_Canelli Every app you develop with AppSheet has a web-accessible interface that doesn’t require an app install. So: either.

@Tammi_Canelli

@praveen

Hi Tammi, I took a look at your form.

It is pretty comprehensive in the information that it collects for emergency management for individuals with medical support needs. Now, back to your original question about moving your data source from a Smartsheet table to a mySQL database table.

You asked if you would be able to point your AppSheet app “table” and “column” defintions in the app to the new mySQL database without losing all the program logic that you have in those columns.

I have copied Praveen on this question, because I am not sure about this.

Praveen could you please answer this question?

mj

@Mary_Jane_Pender @Tammi_Canelli Yes, you can. It’s just a matter of changing the table configuration in AppSheet. The backend storage method is entirely decoupled from the app logic.

@Mary_Jane_Pender you can copy the app and choose another database like mySQL as a new backend and it will do the job. Well… of course you need to make some fine tunings, but the main work is already done.

Thanks Steve and Aleksi.

I did read that link that Aleksi put in one of his posts.

That should be good news for Tammi.

+Steve Coile are there any sample apps that show what the web interface might look like to the end user?

@Tammi_Canelli Your app could simultaneously have some tables on MySQL, some on SmartSheet, some on Office360, some on Google, and some on Dropbox if you wanted.

@Tammi_Canelli it looks virtually identical to the app. You can look at the web interface of your own apps by going into the Editor, click on the link above the Emulator for other form-factors, then select full-screen (if I’m remembering correctly).

Ahhh…that’s what you meant.

I use full screen all the time.

Thought it was something different.

So if I wanted a URL to a form it sounds like I would want a separate app for only the form and have the form be the starting view?

Then place that link on my website?

Super because I’m using Formstack which won’t work with sql so I have to keep at least one Smartsheet sheet/table for all incoming applications.

Once the applications are reviewed and accepted they will be moved into the sql database.

We are looking at options to automate this in the backend but is there a workflow or trigger in Appsheet that could make this happen?

@Tammi_Canelli Not to my knowledge, no.

@Tammi_Canelli have you noticed this article?

help.appsheet.com - Copying an Existing App to a SQL Database Copying an Existing App to a SQL Database help.appsheet.com

@Tammi_Canelli

Tammi, are you going to move away from AppSheet forms in favour of Formstack?

Just curious as to why – what does Formstack give you?

thanks m.j.

Yeah, I’m (morbidly ?) curious too :]

Thank you

We are only using formstack for an online application for the general public.

That data currently feeds into Smartsheet.

You’ve probably seen my struggles in other posts with Smartsheet due to sheet limitations - I ended up with 4 sheets just to manage the data.

We are moving at least 3 of those sheets into mysql.

I haven’t found a solution to replace Formstack so I’m stuck with at least one Smartsheet sheet at the moment.

Open to suggestions though.

Top Labels in this Space