Webhook executing when using "test" then "execute task" but not in app

hello all. I have a workflow that triggers a webhook to add child records upon creation of the new parent record.

I am able to manually produce the records under the workflow test>execute task button and then they show up. but not in the app itself by the trigger condition of the new parent record being added.

I donโ€™t know what Iโ€™m doing wrong here can anyone lend a hand?

I also changed the workflow action from webhook to email and then I get the records emailed just fine in the email body however when I change it back to a webhook โ€œaddโ€ workflow the records are not added to the google sheet.

Solved Solved
0 22 324
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thereโ€™s your problem then. Workflows donโ€™t run under that scenario. If you change the parent recordโ€™s add action to an Add webhook, that should trigger your subsequent workflow.

EDIT: Or why not just have the button trigger the โ€œadd a new rowโ€ action, instead of going through the workflow.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

What do the logs say?

Why donโ€™t you run a โ€œdata: add new rowโ€ฆโ€ Action, instead of using a webhook? That is typically easier.

Iโ€™ll check the logs. the webhook adds about 300 child rows so itโ€™s too slow for the user to wait for them to populate before editing them as one list.

Adding 300 records might be exceeding the maximum execution time of a workflow, or something like that. Does it work if you do a smaller amount?

I assume that was a response to my previous post? You donโ€™t believe so, or have you actually tested it? And did you just give up on checking the logs?

No as far as I can see from my testing it does not work with a small or large data set. Iโ€™ll make sure to test again to be sure.

Would it be cool if I sent you the logs Iโ€™m more than happy to believe me Iโ€™m not giving up on this haha Iโ€™m committed to breaking through this road block. Again thank you I appreciate you helping out. Iโ€™ll post the log data next.

Ok here is the audit log. The webhook workflow Iโ€™m speaking of is named ADD DAILY ITEMS W NEW DAILY LIST and is not even listed at all it should be on top if I understand correctly right above the โ€œDAILY LISTโ€ workflow which is what is supposed to trigger it.

this is the audit log from the top row โ€œCREATE NEW DAILY LISTSโ€ i donโ€™t know what โ€œmatches condition falseโ€ refers to as I dont think there are any conditions on the webhook workflow which you can see in the screen shot.

I hope this is enough info your to to diagnose @Marc_Dillon thank so much for being a solid dude

Iโ€™d investigate on the TRIGGER condition:

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[TRIGGER]<>[_THISROW_AFTER].[TRIGGER]

Be careful because there are some limitations on the use of such triggers. See the related article:

It still is not working. Iโ€™m assuming this may be a bug of some sort Iโ€™ve done a couple of these webhook flows before itโ€™s never been this difficult haha

Your log says you are editing a row, not adding one. It is showing a different workflow name, one that is triggering by an update, and has the condition noted by @perissf . In order for an adds_only workflow to run, you have to add a record, which you arenโ€™t doing in those screenshots.

Youโ€™ve got to find a different entry in the log, one for when you add a row and the other workflow that youโ€™ve displayed here is triggered.

yes itโ€™s not there. the workflow doesnโ€™t show up unless I manually go to the workflow tab>select the workflow โ€œADD DAILY ITEMS W NEW DAILY LISTโ€>test> and then go to the first row and select the button โ€œexecute taskโ€ and then I get a success pop up.

This log entry shows a manual test and execute task result I did at 8:30 in the red box.

and this is the top of the log which SHOULD show the workflow running at 8:30 but it does not, even though the adds to the DAILY LIST happened and the workflow has no conditions on it (shown below)

This still does not show an Add Row event. How are these records being added?

I mean how is the parent record getting added? If there is no Add Row event for the parent record, then there is no way the ADD_ONLY workflow is ever going to fire.

the parent records get added via a simple button that changes a column value and triggers a workflow to execute a โ€œadd row to another tableโ€ฆโ€ action

it works every time no problem, the DAILY LIST records in the video were added this way

Thereโ€™s your problem then. Workflows donโ€™t run under that scenario. If you change the parent recordโ€™s add action to an Add webhook, that should trigger your subsequent workflow.

EDIT: Or why not just have the button trigger the โ€œadd a new rowโ€ action, instead of going through the workflow.

ok man thanks so much iโ€™ll give it a shot! Marc youโ€™re the man

Also read this carefully, it spells out exactly when workflows trigger, and when they donโ€™t.

this is the part that is most important. I figured Id paste it here for posterityโ€ฆ @Steve @perissf @Marc_Dillon thank you all for the help

dude it worked! wow I didnt realize the workflow wouldnโ€™t work unless I did it this way.

Thank you so much for your help I feel kinda dumb but Im glad I got it done.

No I donโ€™t believe so. So weird man. Iโ€™m not sure if itโ€™s a bug or something I donโ€™t know why it works when I do the manual execute task and not in the workflow. I donโ€™t have any conditions on it or anything either. Very frustrating haha.

I appreciate the help though.

not sure if itโ€™s appropriate to tag @Steve ? Steve let me know if this is appropriate as etiquette Iโ€™m at a dead end w the problem and would love your wisdom.

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with web hooks, so Iโ€™ve got nothing to offer. Maybe @MultiTech_Visions or @GreenFlux? Otherwise, support@appsheet.com is your next stop.

Thanks so much @Steve

Top Labels in this Space