Webhooks - Is there a way to get a response payload from a REST API call and react to it?

Just want to confirm that nothing has changed.

It is my understanding that currently we can only post requests to 3rd party API’s. In looking at the webhook Workflow rule, the post can be configured to “listen” for a successful receipt of the request and retry upon failure.

At the moment we cannot, it still seems, process a response payload, store it and/or react to the response details. Correct? I believe there was some murmur previously about this capability coming in the future so just wanted verify its not here yet.

I do also understand that we can possibly use tools such Zapier or Integromat as 3rd party integrator services that may be able to bridge the gap in the meantime.

So, I’m curious if any others are processing responses from REST API services and if so, how/what tool or process are using to do so?

5 7 1,464
7 REPLIES 7

As far as I know Appsheet can’t do it and we use zapier to get the response, parse it out and store it in our database.

Do you do any kind of reactive processing? In other words, inspect the API response and then trigger some other activity in Appsheet - maybe updating other data or generating a notice.

Appsheet has its own API so just wondering if anyone has implemented that full round trip through 3rd party services?

I do have some app where we get the data (as table) out of the API GET call from the end point and show as table within Appsheet app using Apigee integration, but I believe it is not possible to trigger the subsquent process as a result of API call to the end point of the third party API end point, although it is lovely to happen.

Responding to quite an old post, so you’ve probably worked through it by now (I’m just browsing the forums to see what topics have been discussed). In case it’s still of help, I can confirm that this is possible.

I currently send a HTTP request from a bot directly to SharePoint via its REST API. For the return trip, I have Power Automate watching for items being created in the SharePoint folder and sending a request containing the relevant file metadata to a table in Appsheet via the Appsheet API.

I can confirm that it is possible to trigger Bots to execute upon Data Change events performed by the API.

I achieved similar functionality with Integromat.

1. Set up a webhook in Integromat
  2. Make call from Appsheet to that webhook containing the information to send to SharePoint
  3. Use Integromat to POST to SharePoint, receive the response, and extract variables from the JSON response
  4. Send the variables to a table in Appsheet via the Appsheet API

Currently using Power Automate instead of Integromat as we have a university license for that already as part of Office 365.

When you say that you send the variable to a table via the Appsheet API… how are you sending data back in through the Appsheet API? I am trying to push data to an app via the Appsheet API using Curl to test out the Appsheet API, but I am not able to see the data in my table. I don’t get any confirmation from the Appsheet API that it error or did not receive it… but also I don’t see the data.

Can you elaborate more on that point of how you are sending data back through Appsheet API?

It is depending on what sort of data you want to capture from GET api and want to consume the response within appsheet app, but one of the possible work around would be to consider to use Apigee if we ask Appsheet guys.

AFAIK, that’s correct- unless there’s something new in the Automations section that would work.

I’ve been using Apps Scripts to send webhooks, instead of AppSheet, and processing the response in the script. Then I can pull out the values or rows I want and write them back to the sheet.

Another option is Retool. The free version can connect to GSheets, SQL, etc, send webhooks, process responses and do everything you would need to complete the integration.

Top Labels in this Space