While troubleshooting an issue with WEEKNUM(), I came across a curious fact that I thought I would share.
The internet, or at least the websites you’d go to for answers if you Googled something, don’t count the first incomplete week of the year when figuring week numbers.
Which means if you’re in the US (among a few other countries) and searched the internet to find out what week number it was…
- the numbers would be wrong (from your perspective).
- Which means if you’re in the US (among a few other countries) and searched the internet to find out what week number it was…
Assume that for this discussion, Sunday is the start of the week
- Let’s work with the date: Sunday July 11th, 2021
- WEEKNUM(“7/11/2021”) = 29
- If you physically count the number of weeks on a calendar, you’ll get 29 too.
- IF you count the first incomplete week, that is…
- WEEKNUM(“7/11/2021”) = 28
It seems that the internet doesn’t count the first incomplete week of the year
Every webpage that I’ve gone to tells me that the week number for July 11th, 2021 is 28.
Check for yourself:
- Week Numbers for 2021
- This one starts the week on Monday, but still you see the next week is 28 - not 29.
- Another that starts it’s weeks on Monday - but still, the next week should be 29, not 28.
- When should we start counting the first week of the year?
- Start counting from the first FULL week
- Start counting from the first DAY