What AppSheet Enhancements Would You Like? W...

What AppSheet Enhancements Would You Like?

We are collecting ideas for AppSheet enhancements. What new services, platforms, and device capabilities you would like us to integrate with AppSheet?

For example, people have asked us to integrate: 1. Payment system like Stripe or Square 2. Data providers like Firebase. 3. Printer support 4. Web services like Zapier or IFTTT (If This Then That)

1 68 3,239
68 REPLIES 68

Blue tooth, engine control modules for DOT complianceโ€ฆ

I believe integrating/manipulating device sensors and/or hardwares like accelerometer, GPS, Bluetooth etc. could be fantastic

Would love to be able to upload short video clips straight from my device similar to taking a photo and uploading. We need these as evidence that certain tests and inspections have been carried out. Typically no more than 10-20 secs per video.

On the same topic

video playback through app not great, any chance of option to use the devices native playback without disappearing off into the world of YouTube?

+JW R

Can you expand on your ideas in the post starting with โ€œExport/Importโ€?

I want to ensure I fully understand your ideas.

Import Video Files

My main application is for testing and inspection of properties. One module deals specifically with testing of smoke, heat and carbon monoxide detectors. In the app we retain text answers as to visual condition and also upload photos, but the main proof that they are working properly is a video clip of the manual test including hearing the audible alarms.

Therefore, as with images, I would like to select the field and then be offered the ability to use the camera on my mobile device to take a short video which is automatically uploaded and capable of being viewed via the app when checking our test and inspection records. This functionality is already available in Google Forms but sadly not in Appsheet.

I can think of a number of other uses for this functionality e.g. here in the UK when you get your car serviced the main dealers for Mercedes, BMW etc. carryout what they call a visual health check of your vehicle and forward a video of it whilst still at the garage. Their videos also include audio commentary about the condition of brakes, tyres, etc.

Back to my own apps I also use my public app to promote our properties and have videos within it. Whilst I donโ€™t want users to download them the current viewing experience is very poor as it is โ€œtrappedโ€ with a fixed frame that will not expand to fill the screen of the device.

Hope this makes sense and gives you some food for thought.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

I would like the ability to export the table schema into preferably a spreadsheet or csv document. This document woultd be similar to the show all propeties edutor screen but would include everything in a table format. This would make looking for inconsistancies, errors, missing expressions etc a lot easier.

It would also be the basis of the cudtomer documentation on handover when development is complete.

Having the ability also to import yhe schema would allow you to adapt an existing schema and import it into a new app with the ability for it to create the data table as well. This wouls save you hsving to create the source table, attach it to Appsheet and then have to recreate all property values.

Ditto with Actions and conditional formating.

Have a wait condition in an action.

Sometimes you have an action that writes to the spreadsheet, yet also triggers a workflow.

At the moment you get a race condition where either can complete first.

Somehow protect the Appsheet data so an iPhone cannot clear the Appsheet cache whenever it wants.

Also, fix the issue where Appsheet cannot create shortcuts to a specific App on iphones.

Create a voting system where App Devs can vote on features.

Akin to SCRUM/Agile, treat us as the project owner.

Otherwise, you risk creating features only a few people want.

This exist here: https://community.appsheet.com/tags/new-feature
Or are you thinking of something else?

Thierry

Mike_A
Participant V

I agree with @Simon_Robinson that it would be great to share and vote collaboratively on new features.

I really could use

geolocation capabilities - place a pin and get the closest address back (or the reverse) would be a big data entry improvement.

Iโ€™m just going to throw this out there. If appsheet focused only on the features requested / needed by this community they will probably go out of business. Example, this community itโ€™s made up of invested users, so we naturally have less need for features that might be awesome for marketing purposes. Another example is keeping users engaged during first use, and making sure their first app comes together easily. Also, most of the active members in this community arenโ€™t running an enterprise company with like 2000 active users. These are all conditions that appsheet needs to develop toward in order to have a well rounded product.

Appsheets growth equates to more and better development. So, while Iโ€™m a fan of having a community driven feature request board, and seeing appsheets development roadmap. The community does need to keep these things in mind.

Side note / spoiler. Theyโ€™re planning on releasing a feature request appโ€ฆ LOL

Mike_A
Participant V

@Grant_Stead - I donโ€™t actually disagree as the compelling features need to drive revenue or we are all โ€œout of businessโ€.

By the way, my exploring appsheet is in fact to consider use in our large scale enterprise :-).

Print from mobileโ€ฆpress print from the phone should print to a nearby printerโ€ฆ

+JW R

Appologies for typos. It was late at night, gat fingers and a couple of glasses of wine.

Michael2
Participant V

@Levent_KULACOGLU In addition your suggestion of device hardware by which I assume you mean internal devices, it would be great to include a limited set of USB devices such as GPS donglesโ€ฆ

Michael2
Participant V

In addition to all the GREAT suggestions that came before mine, my company would love to see these features:

1.) Cached map data for offline use. 2.) Inclusion of USB and bluetooth GPS hardware (browser supported) 3.) Display of lines and polygons

Michael2
Participant V

@Grant_Stead While your points are very valid, consideration should also be given to the fact that we as invested users are likely to outgrow a platform that doesnโ€™t keep up with our needsโ€ฆ

@Mike_Adler I second that one

I would love to see more options with nested tables using โ€œispartofโ€.

Iโ€™d like to see this become more than just a 2 layer reference, allowing for app formulas that pull info from a parent table, 2 tables up from the current, something along the lines [Ref_column].[Parent table value (also a ref field)].[Grandparent table value].

Iโ€™d also like to select a row in the parent table, and be able to tell the app to automatically add a new entry to the daughter table below, instead of adding or editing the parent table.

Add the option to hide the edit button on a specific view, but leave the table editable (through actions).

@Jennifer_Clem1 A million yeses!

@JMI_Labs1 โ€œAdd the option to hide the edit button on a specific view, but leave the table editable (through actions).โ€

Go to System Actions>The Auto-generated edit action button you want to hide>Prominence>Do not Display

Add sections to Deck and Table views, and select % of full width for each section.

Export/Import. Data Schema, conditional formats and Actions to PDF, Google Sheet, Excel or CSV. This would be great for customer documentation, Troubleshooting and redesign or rescoping.

My wish list :

• Being able to trigger actions based on background phone functionality (exemple : getting the time when reaching a defined radius of set GPS coordinates)

• trigger an action that opens another app with predefined data (exemple : Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, SMS, Email, calendar, Trello, Todoist, โ€ฆ)โ€ฆ like the function โ€œShareโ€ in most apps

• background recoding of route taken (exemple : like sport tracker app do โ€ฆ Samsung health, Caynax Sports tracker,โ€ฆ)

• Triggering a variety of apps as file input (exemple : office lens, Dropbox, voice recorder, )

• Being able join any types of files (email files included) as records attachments

• option to open directly the camera as image source (without the option โ€œchoose from existingโ€)

David_Ames
Participant IV

A number input keyboard (that looks like a calculator keyboard) when inputing numbers into a field.

(Instead of the default QWERTY keyboard to input numbers).

(The number input keyboard may already happen on an Android phoneโ€ฆfrom what Iโ€™ve read on the forums.

But Iโ€™m on an iPhoneโ€ฆwould be nice to have that feature on iPhone.)

David_Ames
Participant IV

A feature to add a timer to an app (as simple as a stop watch would suffice)

Did you find a work around, until this (I agree - very useful feature) is added?

Standard image and file uploading. It would be cool if you could simply turn on โ€œImages/Filesโ€ at the table level, and then appsheet does all the heavy lifting. So, instead of me creating a separate table for files and another for images for each and every standard record table, and then configuring it all. All I want is the user to have the ability to upload as many things as they want on those recordsโ€ฆ It would be cool if that was streamlined.

We want to set-up an easy way to collect data for boolean variables especially to run Multiple Correspondence Analysis + kmeans clustering later. For example, intent to join jobs in 1 month, 2 months from now, 3 months from now.

For this, itโ€™ll be helpful if a set of these questions are available in the form of โ€œTinder Swipesโ€ โ€œRight for Yes, Left for No, Up for Notsureโ€. (our on-field staff in India are slow to pickup you existing features for data collection)

Hopefully, this will be much simpler/faster to execute than pressing yes, no etc.

As a flow, letโ€™s say I enter a candidateโ€™s phone number etc in the first page and then the flow turns to a slider (like in Tinder) to say yes/no to some questions (Do you want to work in X city, Do you want to start work in 1 month, 2 months, 3 months etc. If this can be followed up by a regular survey form (for collecting some interval/ratio fields) thatโ€™ll be great.

Efren
Participant V

those are on my wish listโ€ฆ

What a good opportunity to realize things that are now only a dream โ€ฆ

1. through a workflow, generate a pdf that can be visualized immediately on the screen โ€ฆ through a new option โ€œOn Screen Teemplateโ€, it is slow to wait for the email and impractical because you have to leave the app, depend on the data of the connection, open other app, generally slow!

2. in โ€œAttachment Page Sizeโ€ options, to define a โ€œcustomized optionโ€, or you generate an option for ticket printer paper โ€ฆ (2.5 โ€œor 3โ€ wide and continuous)

3. that you can generate direct printing on a google print printer from an โ€œactionโ€ ! (without delay/answer questions)

4. Be able to incorporate graphics in the workflow and thus have them in pdf !!!

5. be able to generate bar codes dynamically (a function that makes them dynamic) and incorporate them into a workflow, that way we could have labels and many other things !

My two requests would be a more intuitive and quicker way to move through tabs to get to certain fields easier and the second would be a calendar view or similar to be able to use the Google Calendar data connection to make appointments ie. start and end dates for project management tasks.

Would love to have Appsheet host my complete suite of apps to run my business and the calendar feature is making me put a link to a project management software for the

time being.

Thanks

P.S. It would be nice to b able to pull data from other apps/data sources to have in records of a non related or connected app

Which Apps/Data Sources are you needing to pull data from?

How about something that can convert excel formulas to appsheet.

fabio_pedone
Participant II

print support , and image size for workflow module

Greater flexibility with design and look at the end of the app creation process. I think that would help this app sheet project boom. As well faster delivery speeds of apps and the ability to scale upwards of I million clients would be good.

Just Saying:-)

Continued development of: REST API to: 1. Add records 2. Delete records 3. Update records 4. Invoke Actions

Is this for a use case where you are invoking the AppSheet REST API to update AppSheet tables?
Do you also have any use case where AppSheet should invoke a REST API to update some other application?

Top Labels in this Space