What is the expected behavior of a Report with multiple Data Change steps?

I have been working with a Report rule that archives records from the main sheet to a dedicated archival sheet. When attempting to update a Report rule by adding additional steps, I ran into an unexpected behavior and just need to confirm the understanding.

The Report rule runs for each row in the table. I added 3 steps to the report. I had expected that each row would run individually through the 3 steps before moving to the next row to be processed. But it appears that all of the selected rows run through Step 1 first, then all selected rows run through Step 2, and so on.

is the later the expected behavior for a Report rule?

0 5 185
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

That surprises me, but Iโ€™ve never tried using multiple rules.

Since it surprises us both, I need to perform a dedicated unit test to confirm my observations unless someone can save me the timeโ€ฆanyone else?

Ok, I created a small Report test and confirmed the order of processing. The report does the following:

In a table with a list of test records (1-20):

1. Select all records with [Active?] = TRUE
  2. Step 1 calls a group action to:
    a. Update the [Step 1 Update] column with NOW()
    b. Set rows 1-5 as inactive - [Active?] = FALSE and [Inactivated] = NOW()
  3. Step 2 calls a group action to:
    a. Update the [Step 2 Update] column with NOW()
    b. Set rows 7-11 as inactive - [Active?] = FALSE and [Inactivated] = NOW()
  4. Step 3 call action to set [Step 3 Update] = NOW()

Image reflecting actual update order

Observations

• ALL selected records are processed through Step 1 first before moving to subsequent steps.
  • Even within the Grouped Action, the first action of the group is applied to all rows first then the second action is applied to all rows.
  • Changes in a Step affect subsequent steps - e.g. marking rows inactive in Step 1 removed them from Step 2 processing, marking inactive in Step 2 removed them from Step 3 processing.

***Updated: Additional Observation

The order of processing of the steps is as expected - 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4 - as it would be for a single row. However for a Report, it appears that this order of processing is being applied to the bulk set of rows which was something I hadnโ€™t expected.

Thatโ€™s good to know, and very interesting.

Iโ€™m not sure if this is similar, but Iโ€™ll post it anyways:
Some time ago I noticed a case where the Action type โ€œExecute action on set of rowsโ€ ran the action on multiple rows in parallel, instead of in series one after another. This particular use case required serial execution, which is the only reason I figured that out, and thus had to setup a sort of back and forth loop (kind of similar to Steveโ€™s โ€œlooping with actionsโ€ tip).

Iโ€™m thinking your case with the multi-step and multi-row Reports is perhaps also showing signs of parallel processing.

Yes, agreed on the parallel processing.

Top Labels in this Space