What is the expected behavior when Here() is called from an Action in a Workflow?

HERE() is function that provides a value that is derived from the mobile device it is activated on. But since a Workflow, and I believe its executed Actions, run on the server, how will the HERE() function behave if it is called from a Workflow process?

0 8 524
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

It should be easy enough to test.

In the past, Iโ€™ve observed that row updates sent from my device to the servers as part of a sync include my deviceโ€™s location whether the row includes a LatLong column or not. I would therefore infer that any use of HERE() in a workflow would use this supplied location.

Based on my own (minimal) testing, workflow appears to use the deviceโ€™s reported location. I encourage you to confirm for yourself.

Interesting. I was recently made aware that AppSheet does indeed include LatLong columns automatically for each address. Maybe they also include with each update from the device to the server a LatLong for the most recent GPS reading from the device?

I certainly will confirm. Working on some functionality now which is why the question came to mind.

@Steve Before i go down a time consuming path, I just wanted to run by you my understanding.

My goal is to capture a technicians current location for display on a map.

In order to capture as accurately as possible a users location, the current solution is add a call to HERE(). But to capture this effectively, I will need to add this call in as many places as I expect the user to interact with in the app. For example, Form Saves when entering or updating records. Or attached to Actions on buttons. Workflows are probably overkill since the above user actions will trigger them.

Do I have this right? Or is there some other minimal approach to accomplishing this?

I suppose the approach depends on the tables involved and the resolution you want. If you add a LatLong column with an app formula of HERE(), itโ€™ll be updated every time the row is modified, but then you only have a record of the most recent location. Alternatively, attach a workflow to the tables your users interact with to add a row to a location log table for every modification.

Agreed. I like the log table idea.

For now, I only want the Last Known location of each Employee. My approach is to place the Current Location on the Employees record. Users of the app will be Employees. I then will have a map that I can show the location of each Employee at their last known location. The map is really for Technicians but with my approach, I can have the data for all users - if needed or wanted by a client.

It seems to accurately capture a specific Users current location, I would need to apply the update at any point where the user would interact with the app. Some of these activity points may NOT trigger a Workflow but all Workflows should be triggered by some type of User activity. Hence, if I place an update to the users current location at any point where a user COULD interact with the app then I am thinking I should be covered - and most effectively covered - and do not need to add to Workflows.

This is a lot of touch points, at least in my app, which is why I was asking about a more minimal approach that maybe I am not thinking of.

Hi John,

Before you spend too much time on rolling your own geotracking solution, you might want to see what new geotracking features we will be adding to AppSheet.

We are now working with a handful of customers on implementing geotracking in AppSheet. We are still exploring options, and it is too early to describe our precise plans at his stage. However, expect to hear more in the coming weeks.

If you have specific geotracking requirements feel free to communicate them to us. The more clearly you can express your requirements the better.

It probably goes without saying, but geotracking is complex, so it is unlikely we can meet everyoneโ€™s requirements from the outset.

@Phil Thank you for the update. I am actually mostly through the updates. Its not too terrible.

I do have some ideas of an implementation that would work for my use case and likely a good portion of the use cases most people need. Where is the best place for me to submit that info - the Feature Request list? I avoided entering anything new knowing you have had a lot of chatter about this for a while now.

I look forward to seeing what AppSheet has in store for us on this topic in the near future.

Top Labels in this Space