What is the expression to return name of column

i have a table intend to substitute name of a column (english) with a localized (thai). Structure of table “dictionary” is

• db_tablename
  • db_column
  • db_column_th
  • db_description_th

In the Display, I want to use an expression to retrieve db_column_th for the current column. Expression I ma using in the Column>DisplayName is

select(dictionary[db_column_th],[db_column]= “xxxxxxx”,TRUE)

But this requires manual coded “xxxxxx” for every column. So I want a generic expression “current_column_name()” to return name of the current column …

select(dictionary(db_column_th,db_column=current_column_name(), TRUE)

Status Open
18 8 754
8 Comments
Fabian_Weller
Gold 1
Gold 1

That would be very helpful. Thank you.

Julien
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I’m also looking for that expression. For translation purpose and also to show or not show a column based on a condition from another table.

Bahbus

Or at the very least it would be nice to have a function like Column("name of column") that can be used in the place of [name of column]. I can think of numerous possible uses. But the most obvious to me would be an easy way to have users be able to dynamically change which column information gets sorted or grouped by without the need of slices.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

sathishk
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi, did you find any solution to return the column name. also is there a way to return the table name?

SkrOYC
Gold 5
Gold 5

@sathishk 

For the Column Name, I personally don't get why this could be usefull on AppSheet considering that we are dealing with kinda-normalized datasources.

Table name: CONTEXT() - AppSheet Help

CONTEXT("Table")
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I imagine that CONTEXT("Column") would make sense for this, if Appsheet ever decides to add this feature.

koma25
Silver 1
Silver 1

I also tried to find this function, for html template.unsuccessfully. but found another way. template can now print pdf with different column names in similar tables