When I use a month (eg Sept 2018) as a label ...

When I use a month (eg Sept 2018) as a label in a column, Appsheet converts it into a number 43344 when the table is updated. I can manually edit the column header in AppSheet to say Sept '18 so that is what is displayed but it creates an error when I try to deploy the app. Can date headers be seen by Appsheet in a date format rather than a number?

0 14 1,199
14 REPLIES 14

Hi @Peter_Teo Could you please add a bit more about the condition?Have you named the column header as โ€œSept 2018โ€ in back end spreadsheet?

When you mention โ€œLabelโ€ are you referring to AppSheet column definition โ€œLabelโ€ that you can set?

What is the column type in AppSheet and what kind of data you will have in this column?

try setting the column type as text, and set the formula to

TEXT([date_column])

Thanks Joseph. I am not sure I understand the recommendation. Perhaps some background will help we run a free meal program for the needy and I am trying to use app sheet to track usage. Each client is given a card which has a barcode that identifies the individual. The card has to be renewed monthly. We do this to update our records on the status of the client. So the columns are used to tell us if the meal program is active in a particular month for a client and also used to let us know if the client has had his status updated before he/she picks up a meal.

Hi Suvrutt.

I am using google sheets and the column header is a date โ€œ18/09/2018โ€ It is displayed as Sept, 2018. In Appsheet Data-> Columns if I look at the column name, it shows up as a number. I can edit the number and replace it with Sept '18 but then I get the deployment error.

Joseph. I need the column type to be Yes/No.

Hi @Peter_Teo May be you wish to name the column as say M09Y18 or something similar in Google sheet and in the AppSheet you can define the display name of the column as โ€œSept 2018โ€

The display name is September 2018 so it does display OK in the app. Its just hard to read under column type. I need to make sure I have the edit the column. Iโ€™ll probably set the columns as text in google sheets. I have 12 โ€œdateโ€ columns so using date allows me to" fill columns" and saved me time. I did not know it would not work till I tried to check deployment.

I mean I need to make sure I have the right column when I edit it.

@Peter_Teo I think I misunderstood your question at first. Are you saying that the columnโ€™s actual name is a date, and the row values are yes/no? In other words, are you tracking if something happened on that date?

If thatโ€™s the case, then it sounds like AppSheet is interpreting the column name as a number. Try entering the date wrapped in quotes.

Do you have other columns named for different dates?

Yes about a year of months. You are correct, the columnโ€™s actual name is a date and the row values are yes/no. I am tracking something that is happening on that date. The same problem occurs with all the other columns with date. Looks like the way out is to enter the date as text. Iโ€™ll do that. Thanks

@Peter_Teo Ok, I understand now. It does sound like AppSheet has a problem interpreting a column name that contains a date, but I wouldnโ€™t worry about it. You shouldnโ€™t be adding new columns for each date.

I would consider restructuring your data. You should be adding new ROWS of dates as new records, not adding new COLUMNS and changing the structure of your database to add new dates.

See if this helps: help.appsheet.com - The โ€œItem-Detailโ€ Data Pattern

The โ€œItem-Detailโ€ Data Pattern help.appsheet.com

Hi i have a similar problem, in my google sheet the headers are dates in date format, but appsheet interpret those headers as numbers. Is there a way to fix that?

I would recommend renaming the column, and using the Display Name to show the date.
I have a calendar app where the headers are displayed as dates (Sun-Sat of current week), but the column headerโ€™s actual name is just the day names, โ€œSunโ€, โ€œMonโ€, โ€œTueโ€,โ€ฆ

The problen is that those headers are fรณrmulas from the spreadsheet, they are designe to use the app for the next year and so on. So in this case, considering that the table is view only, i might use a link to the published spreadsheet, thats my soluciรณn for now.
Thanks

Top Labels in this Space