When I'm adding a new row, I have a column th...

When I’m adding a new row, I have a column that is hidden using showif =FALSE.

How can I get this column to show when I’m editing a row?

0 26 558
26 REPLIES 26

In your options you need to turn off show if universally.

It already is off.

Absolutely nothing.

My app is basically a work rota/diary. If I do any over time, I want to be able to add this to my days work, hence why I wanted the field to only be visible when I come to edit a row and not when I’m adding a new row.

I have a row titled ‘comments’ which is always visible so I might just have to admit defeat and use that for any overtime I do.

@Simon_Blackburn If you post back with the column name of the one you want to show/hide, and the column name of the key column, we can hook you up with the exact formula to use

Okay. You probably want to be using Editable_If rather than Show_If.

What is the column you want hidden? Is it just the overtime amount?

Key column is [Start Date] and the column I want showing/hiding is [Extra Work].

+Steve Coile I want the column [Extra Work] to be hidden when I’m adding a new entry but it’s currently visible. If I decide to do any extra work, I want to be able to edit this entry on another day and see the column [Extra Work] so I can then add any overtime I do.

I don’t know if that makes sense.

You can see in this image the column EXTRA WORK is visible, I want it hidden.

When I edit an existing entry, the column EXTRA WORK is visible which is fine. I just want it hidden when I’m creating a new entry.

@Simon_Blackburn What is the name of the KEY column for this table?

+Steve Coile [Start Date]

@Simon_Blackburn I’m not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind but I have a slight workaround. You can use the Show_if that you were intending to use. For the Show_if statement, just put ISNOTBLANK([Column]), replacing column with one of the columns that would presumably be blank when you create a new row. However, this column would show once there is data.

Well then if show if it’s false, then yes it will never be seen while editing… (Even during the add…) There is some trickery with this…

@Simon_Blackburn Also, make sure that the column that you want hidden is not a required field; would be slightly counterproductive

+Jacob Lin Perfect. Thank you so much.

Also thanks to +Steve Coile & @Grant_Stead

+Steve Coile We got sniped so hard by +Jacob Lin!

Also, Teamwork is the bestest!

25 comments to get this sorted, could be a new record!

Community hard at work :]

So, you’ll have to hack this… But basically the key doesn’t exist in the data set until the record is saved. So you would run a check to see if the key exists. If it does, it’s edit mode. If it doesn’t it’s a fresh add. NOT(IN([KeyColumn],TableName[KeyColumn])).

So you want the column hidden when editing a new row, but not when editing an existing row? A way I’ve found to do that is to add a (hidden, non-editable) column of type Number and an App formula of =([_this] + 1). The value will increment automatically each time the row is edited. When editing as new, the value will be 1; when editing as existing, the value will be greater than 1. You can use this column’s value in your Show_If expression.

+Steve Coile I want the column hidden when adding a new row but visible when editing an existing row.

@Simon_Blackburn Okay. Either @Grant_Stead’s or my way will allow you to do that.

I’ve very much a novice when it comes to understand these but I’ll definitely give it a go.

I’ve tried both and I still can’t get it to do what I want.

@Simon_Blackburn What’s it doing now?

Top Labels in this Space