When kill / restart is not enough

I recently got some help with a bug:

Thankfully, the issue has been resolved.

Through the process I learned that changes in the AppSheet platform are reflected more-or-less immediately when I use my app in a browser (a simple refresh is enough) but that on my Huawei Android phone I needed to uninstall and then reinstall the app to see the latest changes in the AppSheet reflected in the behavior of the app.

So, here’s my question: What determines this and how can we be sure that we have the latest version of the AppSheet platform on our devices?

I get the impression that newer and/or more powerful phones may be updating in the background. Is that right? Any information would be welcome. I’d like to be able to explain this properly to students. Thanks.

1 Like

In Google Playstore it says that the last Update was on 18th of October.
So do you really think this is related to the Bug? :thinking:

1 Like

iOS devices do not perform updates automatically. I am not aware of any way to make this happen though I am not extremely proficient in such things…yet! :slight_smile:

Sometimes, an app will require an update before it will load. But to perform updates, a user must go to the App Store and choose which updates to apply or apply them all.

This makes sense to me. If you consider the number of apps a user might potentially have on their devices, can you imagine what it might be like if all those app were updating automatically?

Additionally, there may be good reasons why a user doesn’t want to update an app.

Having said that, in the case where AppSheet developers have clients using their apps, it would be a very good thing for the developers to know when and what is being released. This gives them a little bit of a head start to test and verify their apps are still whole.

The earlier problems can be detected, the more satisfied the end users become and that is a benefit for both the developer and AppSheet!!

2 Likes

Here’s a response we got from @Adam in the original thread:

I’m looking forward to the improvement.