When to use [_thisrow]

MultiTech
Participant V

A very common question, here’s a short video in an attempt to answer this question. (I’m not satisfied with this video, I will do another at some point)

Short Answer

• Use [_ThisRow] when you need to pull something from a table OTHER THAN where the formula lives...
    • And you want to use data from columns in the table WHERE the formula lives...
      • For those columns, on the same table as where your formula lives, you need to "prefix" those with "[_thisrow]." - in order to instruct the system to direct it's attention to "the row where the formula lives"
            - vs. the row we're thinking about pulling

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like when you’re building a SELECT() formula:

Shared with CloudApp

19 8 18.6K
8 REPLIES 8

GreenFlux
Participant V

Excellent work, @MultiTech_Visions! Great explanation of the concept, and cool visual effects.

Now do one for [_THISROW-1,2,3,etc] and make more clones of yourself to explain it!

3X_3_f_3f37a8cfe020eddaff41e92f916445f5840a000b.jpeg

Never used or fully understood [_Thisrow-1]

is it useful?

Normally I’d be glad to type up my own explanation, but there’s no way I can explain it better than @steve already has:

ALL CREDITS TO @steve FOR THE GRAPHIC
…just copying here for easy reference

3X_9_9_993f3f5ae46b2d405d62c9835303e6de019e4d10.png

@MultiTech_Visions,

Thank you. The explanation video of [_THISROW] is very creative.

3X_e_9_e9603bac0772dce023570ddc6645852b7aecaea4.png

TEXT(SELECT(PRODUCTOS[NOMBRE], (PRODUCTOS[ID]=[_THISROW].(DETALLES[PRODUCTO]))))&", “&
TEXT(DETALLES[CANTIDAD])&”, “&
TEXT(PRODUCTOS[PRECIO])&”, “&
TEXT((PEDIDO[Total]))&”
"

Unable to find function ‘[_THISROW].’

Como puedo corregir este error, necesito ayuda

This makes no sense:

In fact, your whole expression is bad, and I can’t make sense of what you’re trying to do.

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @MultiTech this is a great explainer video! I hope you don't mind that I updated your original post to embed the video directly. 

@Roderick Thanks so much! 

• Both for the kind words, and for the assistance with the post!  The video's a little silly, but it was fun to make.  lol (^_^)

Inspired me to clean up the post myself, and fill things out with a little more detail.

Cheers!

Top Labels in this Space