Why can't I add a shortcut to my homescreen o...

Why can’t I add a shortcut to my homescreen of my ipad? I personally do not like Apple bc of their limitations like not being able to set a default browser, and not being able to add a shortcut to the homescreen unless you’re using Safari, which is down right ridiculous.

I am in the testing stages of my App before I deploy it, and using my wife’s Ipad and having the problem with not being able to easily install the App.

(which has happened to several other testers from within my office as well) This of course will be a huge problem for my users who are Apple owners, so I’m hoping to find a solution.

From within the app, I send example1@gmail.com an invitation. I then go on example1@gmail.com’s Ipad and launch the Gmail app. I open the invitation email and click the link to “Install the app” which bring me to a new screen where there are two options “Install from App Store” and “Install Ex App”. I click on install from app store and it brings up Safari with a display box where the option to add to homescreen is usually at. It’s not there. I’ve had this problem with 10 out of 10 iOS users. Anyone else experience this, or can tell me what to do to fix it, or how to instruct my users how to avoid this issue? My solution would be to throw all Apple products in the trash.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

0 12 2,458
12 REPLIES 12

Forgot to mention I already had AppSheet installed on the IPad before I sent the invitation.

tony1

@Brady_Lovell When you say “I click on install from app store”

did you actually mean you clicked on Install Ex App? If you click on the app store link, it should open up the app store (not a mobile Safari window). Could you verify?

Also, there’s a limit to the number of apps you can have on your homescreen in iOS. It seems unlikely, but if 10/10 of your users have full home screens, then it won’t appear.

We’re investigating more possibilities right now.

Brady, are you able to add a normal web page to your homescreen as a shortcut? Just checking if this is an appsheet-specific thing (I don’t think so), or something more generally with the ipad config.

@praveen I launched Safari and all the tabs (different sites) I tested all allowed me the option “To Add to Home Screen”. I then closed all the apps on the iPad and opened up example1@gmail.com’s Gmail app, opened the invitation email, cliked on the install link, clicked on the option for AppSheet being installed already, the Safari window pops up with the preview image of the app and instructions to add to home screen, but the option still isn’t there.

Yes sorry about that, please disregard my original statement. And I’ve looked into the homescreen being full, but we have tried everything until we’re blue in the face. Not sure what’s going on with it. Maybe it’s something so simple I’m overlooking it? I don’t know. I do know that I have not had 1 single issue with any of the Android devices. Tested around 8 of those and all worked flawlessly.

tony1

@Brady_Lovell Could you post a screenshot(s) of what you’re seeing? That might give us some clue.

tony1

@Brady_Lovell Is the “Add to Home Screen” button hidden inside of the “More” option in screenshot number two?

@tony Negative. Screenshot three is what’s inside the “more” option.

iOS v9.3.5 / iPad2

Top Labels in this Space