Why is 'export to CSV' not working? I looked ...

Why is ‘export to CSV’ not working? I looked up the customer support and did exactly what was said there. I created an “Export to CSV” action for the table and set the display to be Overlay. But… nothing happens, no overlay download button is showing. What did I miss?

0 18 2,025
18 REPLIES 18

@Michael

This issue is not related to the null reference exceptions, which I believe is fixed.

Can you provide the following for this issue: 1. Your account id 2. Your app name 3. The exact steps to reproduce the problem. 4. Your permission for us to reproduce the problem using your app.

I removed the condition. Now the icon to download appears, but this makes no sense because now I am not able to filter out certain records from the table. Anyhow, when I try it out I get a strange kind of error message I cannot for the life of me decipher. Something “ExceptionMessage”:“Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” something something… ???

@M_Engel

The error “Object reference not set to an instance of an object …” indicates that an internal error exists in AppSheet. You should not see such a message when things are working correctly.

Can you provide: 1. Your account id 2. Your app name 3. The exact steps to reproduce the problem. 4. Your permission for us to reproduce the problem using your app.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Its working… Thanks a lot.

It’s working for me, as well!! Thanks! Don’t know what you did but now, I am getting an export of a selection. What happens when I filter this?? Does the export button still disappear or do I get the possibility to narrow it down even further?

@M_Engel Yes, the button disappears. Pity. Now I have to ‘clean up’ afterwards.

@Michael

Column “_MILES” is not being included in the CSV because “Show_If” is “false” for that column in the “CIRCUITS” table definition.

There is a question about why this column is shown in the View but not the CSV, but you can circumvent the problem by altering the “Show_If”.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh “There is a question about why this column is shown in the View but not the CSV” Is this a confirmed bug? I was under the assumption the show_if applied only to forms unless the option to “Apply show-if constraints universally” was enabled.

@Michael

I need to talk with the client expert to resolve the question about “Why this column is shown in the View but not the CSV”. He was away today.

Thanks @Philip_Garrett_Appsh. In the meantime, I have created a sliced view of this table which includes only the fields I would like shown in the CSV table. From this view, clicking a row triggers an action to take the user to a detail view. This detail view is of a slice that includes fields which are excluded from the CSV. Unfortunately, now there are fields shown in forms that should be hidden. I suppose I’ll have to create an action to take the user to yet another sliced view… Lotta work… But, at least I now know what the issue was/is. Thanks again Philip.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh I too am experiencing this issue which I posted about here: plus.google.com - Export View throws exception: I created a slice for which I attempted to exp…

1. 285473 2. CSV Test (There are 3 apps with this issue but, this is the simplest to reproduce the error) 3. From the opening view, click the overlayed ‘airplane’ icon. 4. Yes, of course.

The other two apps experiencing this issue are ‘StructureInspections’ & ‘Production’ Export View throws exception: I created a slice for which I attempted to exp… plus.google.com

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh I’m having similar pains. Running action on a table view(not a slice) via overlay button… Tx

@Michael @Gerald_Kariuki

Found the problem. Working on a solution.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Cheers mate

@Michael @Gerald_Kariuki

Please try it now and let me know the result.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh The table is downloading again however, I still have the issue where computed referenced values are not present in the CSV. More about that here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101344802969693440415/posts/J2j9Xmefnud

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

1. 285473 2. Production 3. Menu-> DOWNLOAD_CIRCUITS-> overlaid file download icon

Compare the ‘_Miles’ column between the view and the CSV. I have this same issue in other views and apps where Export View action is being used… 4. Yes, of course. 5. Thank you

i have the same issue, i’ve follow all the steps and not working.
I have have had not problems in other apps with CVS export.

what else would prevent icon to appear?

Top Labels in this Space