Why is there a limit for rule name lengths?

3X_6_1_61d14ba01a503edf90d439f91c4077551296c55e.png

This seems very unnecessary.

Solved Solved
1 6 181
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Marc,

The length limit is imposed because the rule name you specify is concatenated with other values such as the AppId to form the full rule name. The full rule name was stored in a Hangfire SQL table which had a Hangfire imposed field length limit for the full rule name. That left 49 characters that you could specify.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Marc_Dillon
AFAIK, thatโ€™s the character limit for a SQL column header. As a best practice; instead of a long column name, I may advise keeping it as short and as meaningful as possible, avoid use of punctuation and non-ASCII chars (i.e. that pipe char) and use the Display Name property instead.

What I posted was actually the rule name for a Report. I could have been clearer. There is no โ€œdisplay nameโ€ here. I suppose there is a โ€œDocumentation->Descriptive commentโ€ section, but that hardly helps.

Itโ€™s my bad @Marc_Dillon. I havenโ€™t pay enough attention to the error message indicating the Report Name parameter. Soory for bothering with wrong info.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Legit question. Iโ€™ve asked internally.

Hi Marc,

The length limit is imposed because the rule name you specify is concatenated with other values such as the AppId to form the full rule name. The full rule name was stored in a Hangfire SQL table which had a Hangfire imposed field length limit for the full rule name. That left 49 characters that you could specify.

I have updated the Reports article to document the limit and explain why it exists. See https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/961724-reports

Top Labels in this Space