Windows App for desktop users

It would be great if a desktop app could be made available, so users from desktops could benefit from the cache and offline capabilities.

In our current implementation 50% of the users are desktop users (the other are mobile, but some prefer using a full screen as well)

Thanks!

Status Open
2 15 619
15 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Have you tried just using the browser version of the app on your desktop? What exactly are you looking for beyond that? Main issue I see is if the offline cache isn’t stored so that you can’t even open the app if offline? You should be able to open the app while online, then go offline and still use it, I believe.

peterdykstra
Staff

Like @Marc_Dillon mentioned, you should be able to just use the ‘web app’ version of your app - you can find the link to it in Users > Links

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

FYI @peterdykstra @Marc_Dillon 

I have a client of mine who uses a Windows tablet.
They wanted me to improve the web app because it does not allow them to launch the camera directly.

peterdykstra
Staff

Thanks @takuya_miyai - do you know what browser the client is using on their Windows tablet?

SkrOYC
Gold 5
Gold 5

I share a tip I posted time ago in case it helps.

Anyway, it gives better UI, not better features

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/Make-any-AppSheet-app-an-standalone-one-for-desk...

peterdykstra
Staff

@SkrOYC Awesome, thanks for sharing - I'm a huge fan of making Chrome desktop app shortcuts for my most frequently used apps.

SkrOYC
Gold 5
Gold 5

Yes, it looks better inded @peterdykstra.

Although I like my method a little bit more in order to make them look more polished without any extra window decorations:

3X_8_f_8f443df4a4407fcd760bc386f6518803996673bd.png

I tried to apply it on MacOS but I haven't accomplished it since I know users like you are using it

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

@peterdykstra 
Please wait a moment. I'll ask.

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

Hi @peterdykstra 

Responses received.
That is Chrome.

Their request is simple.
They want a way to activate the built-in camera when they select Image on their Windows Tablet.

2022-03-09_04h56_54.png

Hopefully there is a workaround.

peterdykstra
Staff

@takuya_miyai users should be able to activate the device camera from the app when using mobile browsers (should work on Android and iOS), but I believe Chrome on the Windows tablet is being perceived as a desktop browser, which unfortunately cannot activate the camera today. I'm sharing this feedback internally, but am not familiar with a workaround on Windows tablets. I might try exploring different browser options, in case there are browser agent settings that might make a difference.

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

Thanks @peterdykstra 

The problem does not appear to be fatal, as it can be avoided by using a stand-alone camera and attaching it.
However, it would be nice to have some kind of workaround since it seems to affect the expanded use of AppSheet.

SkrOYC
Gold 5
Gold 5

@takuya_miyai Can you ask him to try this extention?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mobile-view-switcher/bmhfelbhbkeoldaiphchjibggnoodpcj

Maybe it makes AppSheet think it's on mobile and make camera an option, maybe

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

Thanks! @SkrOYC 

I'll try taht.
There must have been a dusty Windows Tablet somewhere.😅

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

@SkrOYC 

PXL_20220309_014455493.jpg

Unfortunately, I verified it in Mobile View Mode, but it didn't work.
I had to get past a heavy Windows Update and a Chrome Update to make sure.😅

In addition, UX->Option to turn off the gallery

2022-03-09_10h52_09.png

But thanks for the good suggesstion! 🙏

FYI
@peterdykstra