Workflow to delete all records in a Table

I’m having trouble getting a Workflow Webhook to delete ALL the records in a table at ounce. It seems to fire just fine, but the table data does not get deleted. I read a bunch of eh guidance but still am struggling with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Please detail what you’ve attempted.

Thanks Steve.

Update to my previous post: It seem to fire sometimes, but not others. (see audit history) In either case it does not delete the data in my table.

I set up an action to trigger this workflow intended to delete all the rows in a table. I am leaving the body empty so it uses the default template.

1 Like

What is the error?

Properties:
{
“RestAPIVersion”: 2,
“TableName”: “Fish Data Input From App”,
“AppTemplateVersion”: “1.000126”,
“AppTemplateName”: “2af8237d-c0fc-41af-901b-e29126bf49ea”,
“Operation”: “REST API invoke”,
“RecordType”: “Stop”,
“ResultSuccess”: false,
“ResultException”: “System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.\r\n at Nirvana.source.api.PublicAPIV2Controller.RestApi_Action_Internal(Context context, LogOperation logOperation, String appId, String applicationAccessKey, String tableName, String actionName, JObject data) in d:\a\1\s\Nirvana\Controllers\API\PublicAPIV2Controller.cs:line 409”,
“StatusCode”: “InternalServerError”,

1 Like

Hmmm… Unfortunately, I have virtually no experience with webhooks, and neither the error nor the screenshots provide any information that leads me to any helpful advice. What I can offer is an alternative approach using actions alone:

1. For the table from which the rows are to be deleted (Fish Data Input from App?), create an action called (e.g.) Delete without confirmation:

• Do this: Data: delete this row

• Needs confirmation: OFF

2. For your trigger table (Workflow Trigger?), create an action called (e.g.) Delete All Fish Data.

• Do this: Data: execute an action on a set of rows

• Referenced Table: (table from which the rows are to be deleted (Fish Data Input from App?))

• Referenced Rows:

ORDERBY(
        FILTER("Fish Data Input from App", TRUE),
        [_ROWNUMBER],
          TRUE
      )

Replace Fish Data Input from App with the correct name of the table from which the rows are to be deleted.

• Referenced Action: Delete without confirmation

Use this Delete All Fish Data action instead of your webhook.

1 Like

Thank you. This works to well to delete the data line by line.

The challenge this approach creates is very long sync times if there is a large amount of data to delete. I created something similar in an earlier version and it took about 45 minutes to delete 2400 rows of data.

I was hoping to select all rows and delete them all once. Perhaps there is Reference Rows expression to select them all.

I don’t think this is a viable solution in the short and medium term if you are going to need to do this a lot (meaning several times a day). IMHO, you are better off writing a script that is triggered by the webhook to delete all the rows.

1 Like

I’ll defer to the expert. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help. I’ll continue to investigate how to implement a webhook.

Hi Timothy,

The error “System.NullReferenceException” is indicating that there is a bug in AppSheet.
I suspect that the bug may be triggered by something wonky in your webhook, but you should never see a Null Ref Exception regardless of what your webhook does.

Please submit a bug report and supply the following information:

1. Your account id
  2. The application name
  3. The table name
  4. The workflow rule or report name
  5. A complete description of the problem
  6. The exact steps to reproduce the problem
  7. Please go to https://www.appsheet.com/account/account#_tab_acctConfig and check the option that enables support access.
1 Like

If you trigger the delete action (from Steve’s suggestion above) using a Change Data action in a workflow - the edit to the table is made in one edit, meaning they get mass deleted at once. The downside to deleting with a workflow is that you have to wait for the workflow to be triggered and for the app to sync afterwards.

But if this is a “set it and forget it thing” then it might be a solution.

4 Likes

Thank you MultiTech_Visions! That is exactly what I was looking for and it works perfectly!

Thank you to all that helped.

2 Likes