Yes/No Columns Missing Header

Is there an option to have action columns display a header? I have a Yes/No column type and in a table view the header are not visible.

1 9 1,191
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

I believe for certain column types that have asssociated standard icons( URL, email) , specific rendering (color, progress), and the toggle behavior ( Y/N), column headers are not displayed in table view most probably to conserve headings space.

Please refer the section โ€œDisplaying Column Headersโ€ in the article below

Workaround for Y/N Column: You may create an Enum column with options "Yes"and โ€œNoโ€ to display headers.

@Kyle_Grieb is this what youโ€™re talking about?

How thereโ€™s no label for the column with the button displayed?

I donโ€™t think there is a way to turn that on, might change this to a feature request - Iโ€™d vote.

Bahbus

Just in case anyone is still looking for solutions to this. Not only does this work. But you wonโ€™t even need to change any other expression based off the column. They are 100% equivalent in terms of usage. It would be nice if maybe @Steve could update that doc with this workaround when people want to keep the header.

Would be nicer if we didnโ€™t need a workaround for displaying our headers for Yes/No columns

@Bahbus is this true?
Y/N is recorded as a true/false in the back end; whereas an enum with yes/no would be stored as textโ€ฆ right?

Are you saying that AppSheet will treat the text of โ€œYesโ€/โ€œNoโ€ the same as if it detected a true/false boolean?

PS: I wouldnโ€™t doubt that this is so, there are so many things that AppSheet does to make things easier for people than most people think.

Indeed it is. Or at least it was when I made that post as I did test it. But yeah, AppSheet treats the string value of โ€œYesโ€ and โ€œNoโ€ as equivalent to โ€œTrueโ€ and โ€œFalseโ€. I presume this is because Yes/No is easier to understand than True/False for non-programmers.

Most likely yeah; thereโ€™s tons of this stuff around thatโ€™s easy to overlook.

Just more of the magic of AppSheet! 3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Went to make a post about this and low and behold it autofilled to this title that I have already found before hand. This is still quiet the pain in the butt that we have to make a workaround just to show a dang column header.

Iโ€™m using โ€œharvey ballsโ€ progress column, and the header label doesnโ€™t appear as well. I thought it was my mistake, cracking my head to find why doesnโ€™t the header show. Iโ€™ve tried changing the column name to a single alphabet name, but it still doesnโ€™t appear. See below :

Top Labels in this Space