App Gallery Updates

The AppSheet โ€˜App Galleryโ€™ is where users can access apps available to them for use, as well as the apps they have created. It is available via the menu of most AppSheet apps, and is the default application when opening the Android or iOS AppSheet app.

An updated version of the App Gallery will start rolling out on Monday, March 8 - @macastan and I would like to hear if you have any initial thoughts. Do you use the current App Gallery? Are these updates going to be helpful for your app users?

No changes are being made to the menu of any apps youโ€™ve created - the โ€˜App Galleryโ€™ link that exists today in most apps is remaining the same.

Preview of the updated App Gallery

The app has been updated to include the following views, which are intended to help app users and creators access the apps they need in as few steps as possible. A notable update is the inclusion of the โ€˜Recentโ€™ view, which helps order apps by most recently used.

Whatโ€™s visible to users if they open the App Gallery:
โ€˜Recentโ€™ (Default View)

• Apps Iโ€™ve used recently
  • Sorted by last used

โ€˜Shared with meโ€™

• Apps created by someone else, but shared with me
  • Sorted by app name

โ€™Created by meโ€™

• Apps Iโ€™ve created
  • Sorted by app name
7 56 8,619
56 REPLIES 56

I do exactly the same trick!

This is also a pain for my app users as well. I understand how to use the app gallery just fine, but my app users are from an older generation that canโ€™t easily navigate technology without help/instructions, so they get confused whenever they land in the app gallery. I wish we could hide the app gallery for certain apps, iโ€™m not sure if this is reasonable, it might not be, but thanks anyway.

Just turn on white label app setting, then App Gallery will be hidden from that app.

Before I found this thread I posted about an issue I noticed with the new App Gallery configuration. I see now that I should have posted here so Iโ€™m posting more-or-less the same content once again:

3X_3_f_3f12e7e93e1f945b3b3bc105f3ed31ffec6eedcf.gif

The gif above shows some changes that have been made to what used to be the App Gallery. Iโ€™ve added some numbers to the video to make it easier to point out what I noticed:

1. The spot that used to be โ€œApp Galleryโ€ is now โ€œAppSheetโ€
  2. โ€œRecentโ€ shows the apps one has used (or is it โ€œeditedโ€?) most recently. This is very nice to have.
  3. When I navigate back to the new location of the โ€œApp Gallery,โ€ Iโ€™m shown the โ€œRecent contentsโ€ contents
  4. From the โ€œApp Gallery,โ€ I have to tap twice to get back to the side menu.
  5. โ€œCreated by meโ€ has apps in old-to-new order. When I navigate back to โ€œApp Gallery,โ€ Iโ€™m now shown the โ€œCreated by meโ€ contents.

So, it seems that โ€œApp Galleryโ€ doesnโ€™t have independent content. Is that right?

Thanks!

P.S. When I looked at my app on a students phone today (students copy my prototype app and use it for free), there was NOTHING in the โ€œApp Gallery.โ€ We had to navigate to โ€œCreated by me.โ€ However, copied apps are also in โ€œCreated by me.โ€ Wouldnโ€™t โ€œMy appsโ€ be better โ€“ just like the editing interface?

Hi Kirk, thanks for sharing! Since many AppSheet app users are also familiar with Workspace app navigation themes, some of these updates are designed to more closely resemble Workspace apps.

1. There is still a discrepancy in when the menu option displays โ€˜App galleryโ€™ vs โ€˜AppSheetโ€™ - looking into this.
  2. โ€˜Recentโ€™ should show you the last apps youโ€™ve opened, including those opened in the editor. (Priority is making it easier for app users to quickly access the apps they use most frequently)
  3. The back navigation is also being investigated, upcoming nav improvements may help address this.
  4. โ€˜Created by meโ€™ should display in alphabetical order - is that not the case?

Correct, the App Gallery should only show content youโ€™ve created or has been shared with you (no more sample apps).

Thanks @Peter ! I appreciate the quick response. I think you answered all of my questions except one: In my gif, the โ€œApp Galleryโ€ only repeats what came before it, either โ€œRecentโ€ or โ€œCreated by me.โ€ So, it seems to me that โ€œApp Galleryโ€ doesnโ€™t have itโ€™s own unique meaning or content. Is that right?

In regard to your question, yes, I think that โ€œCreated by meโ€ is alphabetical order. Thatโ€™s fine. Sometime, however, we copy sample apps. For my students, the just use a sample app I made. So, I would think that โ€œMy appsโ€ (the same as what we have in the editor) makes more sense than โ€œCreated by me.โ€ Using the phrase โ€œMy appsโ€ would have the advantage of being consistent with the editor as well.

Thanks again!

Got it, correct the โ€˜App Galleryโ€™ vs โ€˜AppSheetโ€™ naming differences youโ€™re observing is accidental, we need to fix that. Only one app hosting apps that youโ€™ve either created or have had shared with you.

We debated the โ€˜My Appsโ€™ vs โ€˜Created by meโ€™ and settled with the latter because itโ€™s familiar to some sorting/filtering options seen elsewhere in Workspace - but if itโ€™s confusing for your users or you get any other feedback about usability, please let me know. Keeping a close eye on usage and want to make sure it keeps getting easier for users to quickly access their most important apps. Thanks Kirk!

I appreciate your response and what you wrote makes sense to me. For me, the โ€œCreated by meโ€ vs. โ€œMy appsโ€ issue is a minor one and I doubt my users will be concerned about it. What Iโ€™m more puzzled by is what you see in the following image. My app displays โ€œApp Galleryโ€ where yours does not. Moreover, as I tried to show with my gif, โ€œApp Galleryโ€ only shows what came before. In other words, if you look at โ€œRecent,โ€ then โ€œApp Galleryโ€ will show โ€œRecent.โ€ If you look at โ€œCreated by me,โ€ then โ€œApp Galleryโ€ will show โ€œCreated by meโ€ content. And, if you are a new user and tap of โ€œApp Galleryโ€ for the first time, it will be empty, even if you already have an app or two. This is the point is was trying to make.

3X_6_3_632081482617402f1990064876e4d6f027d5bdd2.png

Hi again, @Peter ! Iโ€™m sure you must be busy but I hope youโ€™ll be able to respond to my earlier post eventually:

And while we are on the topic of the โ€œApp Gallery,โ€ what about the capitalization? Shouldnโ€™t it be brought in line with Googleโ€™s material design standards?

I see that this issue has been resolved. Thanks, @Peter ! I think this makes App Gallery significantly easier to use than before.

I inadvertently posted this update on how App Gallery is funky in the wrong thread:

One more point about how App Gallery is funky: Iโ€™ve noticed that sometimes App Gallery takes us to โ€œShared with meโ€ though it usually takes us to โ€œRecentโ€ (which I think is best). Hereโ€™s an example. I logged out of one account:

Then, after logging in with another account, Iโ€™m taken to this:

(Sorry for all of the white space but โ€œShared with meโ€ is empty so this is what I see.)

โ€œRecentโ€ would make much more sense.

Thanks for pointing this out, Kirk - think itโ€™s related to unexpected behavior from the โ€˜initial viewโ€™ settings in this app. Will investigate.

What is โ€œWorkspaceโ€, and how would I get familiar with it?

(new branding for G Suite https://workspace.google.com/)

This is solving also a Localize request I had Thank you!

NOTE: Since posting this Iโ€™ve closed AppSheet in my iPhone and reopened it. Now, both AppSheet and iOS say โ€œAppGallery.โ€

=============================

Iโ€™m testing my app on an iPhone and an Android device and, strangely, the iPhone says โ€œAppSheetโ€ and the Android phone says โ€œApp Gallery.โ€ I wonder what the cause is?

By the way, in the Android device, when I click on โ€œApp Galleryโ€ it displays the same page with the heading โ€œAppSheetโ€ as the iPhone. So, Iโ€™m guessing that this is just a simple oversight? Perhaps the meaningless presence of of the โ€œApp Galleryโ€ in the โ€œAppSheetโ€ menu that I describe in my previous post is just an oversight too.