Centrally manage teams and policies with AppSheet Organizations!

tl;dr // AppSheet is excited to share that AppSheet Organizations are available upon request to all eligible customers - now including organization-level policies and support for non-Google authenticated users

What is an AppSheet Organization?

The standard AppSheet team structure has notable limitations: Team admins cannot create new or assign user roles without AppSheet’s assistance, and admins have no roll-up view of all teams and users within an account.

AppSheet Organizations add a hierarchical parent above all teams within an eligible customer’s AppSheet account. When enabled, an Organization will contain all group-based, Workspace domain-based and non-Workspace domain-based teams associated with a customer’s verified Workspace organization.

Organization policies allow Organization Admins to set policies that apply to all teams within their Organization. 

Together, these features empower eligible customers to manage members and policies across ALL teams in their account from a single pane of glass. They:

• Align the AppSheet account management experience with the Workspace standard
  • Empower admins with self-serve tools to make changes that formerly required manual Support team intervention
  • Eliminate single points of failure: Organizations can have multiple Organization Admins instead of just a single team root
  • Enable true enterprise-grade oversight: Org admins can create and manage organization-level policies that apply to all teams AND manage individual team policies

What does an AppSheet Organization allow me to do?

Once a Workspace customer with an AppSheet Enterprise account has enabled the Organization feature and assigned their initial organization admin, they can:

• Get a robust view of their AppSheet account: Org admins can view team membership and policies of any group- and Workspace org-based teams in their organization
  • Create new teams with distinct admins, users and policies as needed
  • Independently assign or remove team, root, or organization administrator roles of any user
  • Create and manage organization-level policies that apply to all teams AND manage individual team policies, enabling true central oversight that enterprise customers need and expect

What is changing?

For customers that already have an AppSheet organization today, you may see a new domain-based team with users from your domains that authenticate to AppSheet using a non-Google identity provider. Please keep in mind that if you have multiple secondary domains, you may see more than one additional team.

For new and existing customers with AppSheet Organizations, any user from your verified primary or secondary domains that does not authenticate through Google will be shown in your domain-based teams alongside any group-based teams that have been created.

These users will be subject to the same policies and team settings that apply to your users that authenticate through Google.

What’s next?

We’ve got a few notable additions to the Organizations feature set already lined up. These include: 

• Organizations as the new standard: In the near future, we’ll start defaulting all new Workspace customers who buy AppSheet Enterprise to the Organization model
  • Allow existing AppSheet Enterprise customers to turn on AppSheet Organizations, self-serve, without needing to contact support or their sales representative
  • Improved user management: Allow Org admins to view user detail page (including apps owned) in a new admin management UI

How do I get started?

First, confirm that you are eligible for an AppSheet Organization. There are three primary requirements:

Must have purchased AppSheet Enterprise Standard or AppSheet Enterprise Plus

Must have a Workspace domain verified organization

Must provide a Workspace admin to be the first AppSheet Org admin

Second, contact your Workspace sales representative requesting an AppSheet Organization. They will need your domain, the email address of the first org admin, and a user-facing name for your new organization. Please ensure this admin has logged into AppSheet at least once.

5 5 433
5 REPLIES 5

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @alafontant 

Awesome news!

I have a question though 🙂

For context: until now, root admins did not have any edition privilege over the AppSheet Apps made by one of the users.

For Enterprise accounts, when creating/updating a new policy, there is a need to address the deployed and non-deployed apps that are non compliant with this policy, but it will depend on the good will of the app owner. (I'm mentionning cases where there was not a correct app management practice - important apps should be ran under a service account)

The only way to address it until now is to force the app transfer, but on case of business critical apps, this may cause disruption.

Is there a way to address this situation now?

Thanks in advance for considering

Good question @Aurelien - you are correct that today admins are granted read-only privileges to view an app definition and cannot edit an app of a user on their team. One suggestion for the short term would be to adjust the "Severity" of your policies so that the app owner sees a warning instead of an error. You can provide additional details to the app creators via the "Description" and "Failure Message" and potentially give them a date at which they need to bring their app into compliance. The policy preview should also provide a list of the app owners that are not adhering to the policy so you can reach out to them directly. Let me know if that helps!

Hi @alafontant 

Thank you for this feedback. I was already aware of this procedure.

I might have misexpressed my question, here it is rephrased more directly: "can root admins have edition privilege over the AppSheet Apps made by one of the users?"

We do not have any plans to provide this functionality to root admins, but I will add this to our list of feature requests.

@alafontant wrote:

and support for non-Google authenticated users

@alafontant wrote:

Must have a Workspace domain verified organization

🤧