In Preview: New UI design for desktop users

Hey everyone,

We’re excited to announce we are now previewing our new visual design for applications that are accessed on desktop browsers. 

Currently, your AppSheet applications tend to follow mobile design patterns even when your users have large screens and these patterns can be confusing to desktop users. The new design lets these desktop users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to create and update records without losing context. App creators can also present more information by leveraging the larger screens but still keep it organized.

Here are some before and after images that better illustrate the design changes.

Legacy Design - Screenshot #1: Sifting through a collection of records grouped by City and State after selecting a State (Deck View)

Arthur_Rallu_0-1659469291920.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #2: Looking at a specific record after selecting that record in the screen above (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_1-1659469291926.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #3: Editing an existing record/Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_2-1659469291979.png

New Design - Screenshot #1: Seeing your data in context (Deck View + Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_3-1659469291995.png

New Design - Screenshot #2: Focusing on a specific record (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_4-1659469292027.png

New Design - Screenshot #3: Editing in place an existing record

Arthur_Rallu_5-1659469291998.png

New Design - Screenshot #4: Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_6-1659469292016.png

What’s next? Well, this is still a work in progress. We’ve been gathering feedback from a number of design partners, including some of you in the AppSheet Community, and we know there is more to do before it can properly support all of your applications. At this stage, we feel that it would be good to let you play with the new design and to give you an opportunity to share your feedback - what you like, what doesn't work, what you think could use some improvements. This represents a significant change and your feedback will help us guide our next steps. 

As this feature is in Preview, you may see visual changes in your apps as we work to improve the new desktop design in real-time. We don't recommend using the new desktop design in your production apps.

Thank you 

The AppSheet Team

FAQ

How do I get access to this new desktop design?

We are currently slowly ramping this new experience over the next week or so, so you may not see this option in the editor immediately.  

For each application, you can opt-in to use the new desktop design. You can toggle between the new and legacy desktop modes, as desired.

Follow these steps to enable the new design in your app:

1. Open the app in the app editor
  2. Navigate to the UX > Options pane
  3. Enable the Desktop mode (Preview) option - see screenshot below
  4. Save the app in the Editor

Arthur_Rallu_7-1659469291922.png

All users of this application that access the app on a desktop browser will then see the new design after their next sync.

How do I configure the design of my app? I don’t see any new settings in the Editor!

There are minimal changes to the Editor for now. Mostly, the same settings are leveraged to specify the desktop and mobile designs. Let me give you an example.

Your apps have “primary views” and “menu views”. With the new desktop design, all of your views will be accessible from a side menu. That menu will list first the “primary views” and then the “secondary views”. In the future, we will adjust the configuration settings and in particular the language so that it makes sense for both mobile and desktop apps. For example, position values of "left most" and "right most" don't make sense for the new desktop design with its vertical menu structure.

We’ll be giving app creators more controls over some features that are currently set by default.

Is there some documentation or more information on what changed?
See Optimize the user experience using the new desktop design (Preview). We’ll update it over time.

Is there a list of functionalities that are known to not work with the new design?

Yes.
First, here is a
 list [as of July 31st] of (high-level) issues and requests that were reported to us and that still need fixes or assessments. Some of them are independent of the desktop mode, but we're still listing them here since people may want to know about them and so they don't need to report them unless it was reported for different app configurations :

General theme Issues
Form View
  1. Follow-up actions (reopen, next view, click-on-save action) do not get triggered or executed properly; sometimes it is dependent of the app configuration and sometimes it is not
  2. Delete and Done buttons are missing to delete new child row
  3. Some performance issue when there are many Enum value buttons and format rule(s)
Navigation expressions: LINKTOROW(), LINKTOFORM(), etc
  1. When used in emails
  2. When used to go to Dashboard Views
Format rules
  1. They don’t properly show up in a dropdown (for Enum, Ref, etc)
  2. They don't always show up in the group-by section
  3. They don’t show up new headers
Detail View UI

- In some configurations, showing the wrong display names in a Detail tab
- Requests to show the image label in the Detail tab

- Edit-in-place in Dashboard view

- Sync gets the app user out of Editing mode in a Detail View

General UI

- Improvement requests on the subnav bar (e.g. larger text button, better responsiveness w.r.t. title, actions, text)

- Clicking in grey area around onboarding view should not navigate the app in the background

- Filtering on Dashboard

- Tooltip for icon action buttons

Chart Views do not behave like other views

Localization of strings Some strings are missing
CSV import/export
  1. Error message when action was successful
  2. Export data based on what is visible to the user
Other app functionalities

- Missing Share, Feedback buttons

- App Gallery behaving differently

- Support of Amazon Cognito (missing account icon)

- OCR not working on Desktop

Functionalities for app creators “Preview as” is not available for the desktop emulator

Second, here is a list of some issues and feature requests that we know we are not going to tackle, at least for now.

Supporting multiple navigation actions in a grouped action

This is not something that we support. The team very intentionally did not want to support this. App creators should not rely on it and it won’t work in desktop mode.

Multiple requests to improve the Table View UI

We got requests to improve the Table View in general. The requests are valid, but that is out of scope for desktop mode. Changes we would be making would also impact the legacy UI and mobile apps.

LINKTOPARENTVIEW() not supported For desktop users, there are better options to navigate back: the browser’s back button and the breadcrumbs.
Font size changes (via app settings) lead to layout issues Generally, we recommend using the browser’s zoom which does a better job at resizing the app.
Background image  

See also Limitations and known issues

How do I provide feedback?

Please share your feedback in this thread below this message!

80 1,246 73.3K
1,246 REPLIES 1,246

The new desktop mode is being developed, it's not meant for production so anything that seems like an unbeliavable way of doing things is just the way is currently implemented. You could tell @Arthur_Rallu why the way it works now doesn't fit your needs.

@SkrOYC @khuslid 
General response on the Form View and how to enable it for users editing an existing record.

The current state for this Preview is what you have seen: by default the Edit button in the app opens a Detail View that is editable; we have shared a way to bypass this (as shared by @SkrOYC ), but really it's only a temporary work-around.

At launch (where this desktop UI is officially available to all users), app creators will choose how they want their users to edit existing records: with a Form View or with the editable Detail View. We are working on this. The workaround has way too much friction and is not discoverable. 

We appreciate all of you testing the new UI. Thank you.

This is good news. Thanks for clarifying! Sounds like a good solution and improvement. Just what we needed to hear:) 

And by the way: The reason for nagging and asking som much is just that we love the new UX so much, that we just cannot wait for it to work properly!

Is the fix for using form view for editing any where near a solution? @Arthur_Rallu 

Really hard to test with existing apps without this feature.....

Tried to look on earlier posts, but cannot find any tips or solutions for this. Can you @SkrOYC  give a hint on how to solve or work around this?

Make a duplicate action of the system-created "Edit" one. Change the "Edit" one to "Do not display".
Do this on as many tables as you need

I did, but seriously..! Shall we do this for all existing apps?

Here is an example:

khuslid_0-1665510808036.png

Are you asking in the context of the NEW Desktop View which this thread is concerning?  If you are then it is way too early to ask about workarounds for this new feature.  It's not generally available yet.

Well I do not know, really. @SkrOYC posted that we were not to expect any form-view to edit in the new UX. Context() issue is of course related issue for some cases. But loosing all form views for quick-edit is much more than the CONTEXT issue. It just sounds too incredible!?  

I see based on your other post, you seem to be performing some dedicated testing on this NEW Desktop feature.  That is awesome!  I understand why you are asking for work arounds.

Yes, me too. The new UX is just to good to wait for...;) We need these issues fixed ASAP:)

@khuslid wrote:

Shall we do this for all existing apps?

Well, we are not pushed to use the new desktop mode so I don't think this is a big deal right now

Well it is kind of needed for using the new UX. Otherwise we just have to leave it and stop testing in our apps. And that stops progress of testing...

And we get no updates, no plan for bug fixes, no plan for further updates and progress.... (last update 7th of September, and that wasn't much of an update!)

In Desktop Mode i can't find the Reset Changes Button... It was very helpfull. Can we have it again??

It is helpfull, they are aware of it and they have been trying to fix that since the beginning

Yes, I also meet the same problem so I have return current desktop to reset all changes. Please update this fearture asap. Thanks Appsheet Team @Arthur_Rallu 

Hi!

What if the "All" selection in a grouped view could inherit the Group aggregate of that view? Would be very helpful imo

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 6.10.39 p.m..png

Upvote

column edit protection using editable if:
 NOT(IN([_ROWNUMBER],Table[_ROWNUMBER])) is not working. 

instead of being able to edit column until submiting form using condition above, in the new desktop mode columns are not showing at all

is there a workaround for this?

Gravação_do_ecrã_2022-10-19__às_21_40_20_AdobeExpress.gif

Hi @Arthur_Rallu. I've been testing the desktop preview and I noticed that the search mode still doesn't work in the enumlist. It works fine in the mobile and tablet view.

It should work now.

Hi,

A number of reported issues against the desktop UI have been addressed in the October 18, 2022 release, including the following:

Item Description
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed an issue where sortBy, filtering, and grouping were not getting applied after a LINKTO* action (such as LINKTOVIEW).
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed CONTEXT() function in column SHOW_IF expressions.
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed X button in onboarding view.

Note: We will update this thread with release note updates going forward.

Thank you!

Thank you, thank you and thank you:) We REALLY need this! But please keep up the good work and continue bug fixing. We are not there yet;)

Looks like there is still some issues with grouping and filtering when in 3rd breadcrumb ore more. I've explained it in this new video: https://www.loom.com/share/96abfd5c50a34b3db020fd7011fcecef

Can you confirm this is not happening any longer? On our side, we fixed some issues and it's behaving as expected. 

Thank you

Yes. This look to be working fine now. Thank you.

Hi,

Could I ask what is the expected behaviour for a LINKTOROW() action that jumps to another Appsheet app?

Currently I am experiencing in the Editor view that the jump to the correct View and Row works as expected, but the Desktop Preview version seems to ignore the Row and View although it does jump to the correct App.

@lizlynch wrote:

We will update this thread with release note updates going forward

Thanks, that's actually a good idea IMHO

posting here as kindly requested from appsheet support:
addressed issues :
1. columns with edit if constrains like:
NOT(IN([_ROWNUMBER], employee[_ROWNUMBER])) - not functioning as before
2. linktoform does not reffer any values to linked form
3. table quick edit option - not flowing

thanks 

Hi,

Can you share more detail about the linktoform not working properly? On our side, it works fine. The values passed in the linktoform() function are surfaced in the Form View. 

I'm also unclear what you mean about the "table quick edit option - not flowing".... 

Thank you

Hi, is there any way to create that drill-down menu with current tools?

LukasZeman_0-1666636363297.png

Not as shown.  What you are seeing is an excerpt from the new Desktop View.   It is in pre-view mode only for right now.

However, this is not much different than a Grouped Table View.  When you insert a Table View into the app, you have the ability to group the data rows.  When there is multi-level grouping, then the Groups will show in a collapsed state.

To get more details, please check out this article:   Control Grouping

@LukasZeman wrote:

Hi, is there any way to create that drill-down menu with current tools?

What do you mean?

DMy
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I see a lot of posts related to "Editable_if" expressions, but don't see the problem I'm having yet 🤷‍♂️:

Situation: 

• I have a Ref column that users are not allowed to update once the record is first saved.  Based on tips&tricks from somewhere in the forum I set this for the column --
Editable_if= ISBLANK([_THIS])
  • I have another column holding metadata used by an action, which users are allowed to edit
  • My detail view does not show the metadata columns; instead it only show the actions using the metadata columns (as action overlay buttons in the view)
  • On mobile, this works fine as we set up a different set of columns for display of the detail view vs. the form view -- i.e., detail view doesn't show metadata ... but when the user clicks edit we show the metadata columns in the form for them to make changes.

Problem 1

In desktop view, the metadata columns are hidden in the detail view.  When I use the system generated edit action, the metadata columns are not displayed to edit ... I guess since they are hidden from quick edit???

Workaround

Using suggestions above, we disabled the system-generated edit and replaced it with an action to open the form view for the record 👍

Problem 2

In the form view, the Ref column that has Editable_if set to false appears grayed out, but the dropdown can be used to change the value ... and the user can save the form 😦

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 11.37.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 11.38.40 AM.png

Workaround?????

Open for suggestions

Hi @DMy 

Thanks for sharing this. Regarding your 1st problem, the workaround won't be necessary in the near future. We are working on a better control to chose between the traditional Form View and the Edit mode of the Detail View. So you would not need to use workaround1 in the future.

The second problem is a bug. So we'll fix that.

Thanks. You guys are doing great work 🙂

@Arthur_Rallu wrote:

The values passed in the linktoform() function are surfaced in the Form View. 

In a second App?

I used url like this ""https://www.appsheet.com/start/<<_APPID>><<LINKTOROW([id], "ABC_Detail")>>" to link to certain detail view from another app. However, the desktop mode seems to have different url with multiple viewstack, groupby, mutable state, row key values.. Is there a simple way to create a url to a "detail view" as in legacy view using LINKTOROW function? or other function? 

@tomyeo wrote:

Since I have different fields to be edited with the form view, I can't edit the same stuff with the detail view. Is this a bug? I want to use the desktop mode, but this prevents me from using it.

This have been explained before many times, read previous comments.

Btw, it's not a bug