In Preview: New UI design for desktop users

Hey everyone,

Weโ€™re excited to announce we are now previewing our new visual design for applications that are accessed on desktop browsers. 

Currently, your AppSheet applications tend to follow mobile design patterns even when your users have large screens and these patterns can be confusing to desktop users. The new design lets these desktop users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to create and update records without losing context. App creators can also present more information by leveraging the larger screens but still keep it organized.

Here are some before and after images that better illustrate the design changes.

Legacy Design - Screenshot #1: Sifting through a collection of records grouped by City and State after selecting a State (Deck View)

Arthur_Rallu_0-1659469291920.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #2: Looking at a specific record after selecting that record in the screen above (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_1-1659469291926.png

Legacy Design - Screenshot #3: Editing an existing record/Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_2-1659469291979.png

New Design - Screenshot #1: Seeing your data in context (Deck View + Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_3-1659469291995.png

New Design - Screenshot #2: Focusing on a specific record (Detail View)

Arthur_Rallu_4-1659469292027.png

New Design - Screenshot #3: Editing in place an existing record

Arthur_Rallu_5-1659469291998.png

New Design - Screenshot #4: Creating a new record (Form View)

Arthur_Rallu_6-1659469292016.png

Whatโ€™s next? Well, this is still a work in progress. Weโ€™ve been gathering feedback from a number of design partners, including some of you in the AppSheet Community, and we know there is more to do before it can properly support all of your applications. At this stage, we feel that it would be good to let you play with the new design and to give you an opportunity to share your feedback - what you like, what doesn't work, what you think could use some improvements. This represents a significant change and your feedback will help us guide our next steps. 

As this feature is in Preview, you may see visual changes in your apps as we work to improve the new desktop design in real-time. We don't recommend using the new desktop design in your production apps.

Thank you 

The AppSheet Team

FAQ

How do I get access to this new desktop design?

We are currently slowly ramping this new experience over the next week or so, so you may not see this option in the editor immediately.  

For each application, you can opt-in to use the new desktop design. You can toggle between the new and legacy desktop modes, as desired.

Follow these steps to enable the new design in your app:

1. Open the app in the app editor
  2. Navigate to the UX > Options pane
  3. Enable the Desktop mode (Preview) option - see screenshot below
  4. Save the app in the Editor

Arthur_Rallu_7-1659469291922.png

All users of this application that access the app on a desktop browser will then see the new design after their next sync.

How do I configure the design of my app? I donโ€™t see any new settings in the Editor!

There are minimal changes to the Editor for now. Mostly, the same settings are leveraged to specify the desktop and mobile designs. Let me give you an example.

Your apps have โ€œprimary viewsโ€ and โ€œmenu viewsโ€. With the new desktop design, all of your views will be accessible from a side menu. That menu will list first the โ€œprimary viewsโ€ and then the โ€œsecondary viewsโ€. In the future, we will adjust the configuration settings and in particular the language so that it makes sense for both mobile and desktop apps. For example, position values of "left most" and "right most" don't make sense for the new desktop design with its vertical menu structure.

Weโ€™ll be giving app creators more controls over some features that are currently set by default.

Is there some documentation or more information on what changed?
See Optimize the user experience using the new desktop design (Preview). Weโ€™ll update it over time.

Is there a list of functionalities that are known to not work with the new design?

Yes.
First, here is a
 list [as of July 31st] of (high-level) issues and requests that were reported to us and that still need fixes or assessments. Some of them are independent of the desktop mode, but we're still listing them here since people may want to know about them and so they don't need to report them unless it was reported for different app configurations :

General theme Issues
Form View
  1. Follow-up actions (reopen, next view, click-on-save action) do not get triggered or executed properly; sometimes it is dependent of the app configuration and sometimes it is not
  2. Delete and Done buttons are missing to delete new child row
  3. Some performance issue when there are many Enum value buttons and format rule(s)
Navigation expressions: LINKTOROW(), LINKTOFORM(), etc
  1. When used in emails
  2. When used to go to Dashboard Views
Format rules
  1. They donโ€™t properly show up in a dropdown (for Enum, Ref, etc)
  2. They don't always show up in the group-by section
  3. They donโ€™t show up new headers
Detail View UI

- In some configurations, showing the wrong display names in a Detail tab
- Requests to show the image label in the Detail tab

- Edit-in-place in Dashboard view

- Sync gets the app user out of Editing mode in a Detail View

General UI

- Improvement requests on the subnav bar (e.g. larger text button, better responsiveness w.r.t. title, actions, text)

- Clicking in grey area around onboarding view should not navigate the app in the background

- Filtering on Dashboard

- Tooltip for icon action buttons

Chart Views do not behave like other views

Localization of strings Some strings are missing
CSV import/export
  1. Error message when action was successful
  2. Export data based on what is visible to the user
Other app functionalities

- Missing Share, Feedback buttons

- App Gallery behaving differently

- Support of Amazon Cognito (missing account icon)

- OCR not working on Desktop

Functionalities for app creators โ€œPreview asโ€ is not available for the desktop emulator

Second, here is a list of some issues and feature requests that we know we are not going to tackle, at least for now.

Supporting multiple navigation actions in a grouped action

This is not something that we support. The team very intentionally did not want to support this. App creators should not rely on it and it wonโ€™t work in desktop mode.

Multiple requests to improve the Table View UI

We got requests to improve the Table View in general. The requests are valid, but that is out of scope for desktop mode. Changes we would be making would also impact the legacy UI and mobile apps.

LINKTOPARENTVIEW() not supported For desktop users, there are better options to navigate back: the browserโ€™s back button and the breadcrumbs.
Font size changes (via app settings) lead to layout issues Generally, we recommend using the browserโ€™s zoom which does a better job at resizing the app.
Background image  

See also Limitations and known issues

How do I provide feedback?

Please share your feedback in this thread below this message!

79 1,229 72K
1,229 REPLIES 1,229

It's happened only in desktop (preview) mode, when I turned desktop mode off, it doesn't happen

Hi!
I wanted to re-draw the attention of the AppSheet team to 2 critical (in my opinion) problems:

1. Card disappears from the viewport ("No items selected") - when changing/editing a child record from the parent.

For example, we go to "order 1" and try to transfer "product X" to "order 2" by selecting a new order in the card - we get "No items selected"

Screenshot_40.pngScreenshot_41.png

Screenshot_42.png

I have already written about this earlier with a detailed explanation here:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/In-Preview-New-UI-design-for-desktop-users/m-p...

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Announcements/In-Preview-New-UI-design-for-desktop-users/m-p...

I want to say that it seriously restricts the use cases of the application. Complicates and can be said to "break" the normal navigation of the application.

In my opinion, it is required to "hold" an open view in the working window, regardless of the changes being made.

2. "Search" - affects related views and navigation.

The links indicated in paragraph 1 also have detailed information on this issue.

In the old version, when you enter a value in the search, it is not passed to the associated views. And when you click the "back" button, i.e. when you return to the view we were looking for - the value is saved.

In the new desktop UI, the search value is passed to all related views, and it has to be "cleared" to display elements.

It was written about:
@Andrew_W  :
https://www.google cloud community.com/gc/Announcements/In-Preview-New-UI-design-for-desktop-users/m...

@Axel_Pro :

@KON_TROLL :

I would like to know if the AppSheet team plans to fix these problems?

@Arthur_Rallu , @lizlynch

Thanks for linking to the detailed info. A fix for #1 was submitted for review, I would guess it will likely be released this week. Issue #2 is near the top of the queue for things to work on next. 

@Adam-google, thank you so much for your feedback!

I am really looking forward to corrections on these issues, these are the only critical problems for me that do not allow me to fully use the new desktop UI

FYI, loops are broken again... happy Monday

@Arthur_Rallu @lizlynch 

@SkrOYC Did it work even work for you ? I am totally confused right now if its an issue of desktop UI or something mistake on our configuration. The looping action by steve works in desktop UI ๐Ÿ˜… My looping action works in mobile but not in desktop UI. 

Trying to figure out if its issue with desktop UI or something else. Been two days on it but still no solutions. ๐Ÿ˜‘ 

I'm using mainly Desktop Mode, so I notice when it doesn't work.
I have to force (via devtools) the Mobile Mode in my browser to be able to use the loop.

I'm using just List Dereferences to check if the loop should repeat so it makes no sense, no Select()/Filter() in there

Can you clarify the failure mode you're seeing? Is it freezing the app, producing wrong results?

Can you show an example of the action configuration with the exit condition you're using?

My own looping action test cases are working in Desktop. If I can set up an example that works similar to yours I can try to reproduce the problem.

Edit: I found a case that fails. Looking into it now.

@Adam-google, shout with direct message if I must test after you looked into your scenario found.... If still I can give access to my app to you no problem..

@Adam-google wrote:

Edit: I found a case that fails

Fails in different scenarios. For me Loops with Inner loop fails now. @Adam-google 

@Adam-google An app that in production for past one year that I did not make any changes started seeing bug. Not using Desktop UI. Its using old setup. Still the automation bot is failing to add intital value. Everything that was working perfect is broken now. 

These are messages from my clients and I am not sure how to even fix things at the moment. There is no point in contacting support anymore. 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.13.19 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-21 at 9.13.31 PM.png

I've found this bug:

table view (slice that shows only records with only today date value of a date column) > detail view > form to edit

if i try to change the date value with other value different from today the field date close itself after inserting different date value 

any chance to fix it ?

i've tryied on mobile app and it works properly

New bugs, 

The save button not enable after edit the type of columns or view in the AppSheet editor.

So any changes can not be saved.

Please fix the error asap.

Hi @hien_nguyen , I tried to reproduce this issue and I am not able to. When I change a column type, a view type, add a view, etc. I always get the save button enabled.

It would be great if you could contact support if you're still seeing this issue and provide a video or some steps so we can look into this issue.

Thank you,

Shahaf

I'm actually able to see this issue now. We're taking a look but in the meantime, if you expand the app in the right side (and collapse it, if you don't want it open anymore), it *should* make the "save" button be activated and allow you to save your app.

Shahaf_0-1679444454649.png

Btw, I just noticed this bug (around an hour or so) and also found that opening and closing the emulator serves as a workaround

Hi @Shahaf ,

I have tried this both on mobile and pc and saw the same problem.

https://youtube.com/shorts/s8Z-ZNunbh4?feature=share 

This should be fixed now!

Shahaf

@Adam-google wrote:

Is it freezing the app

Yes

@Adam-google wrote:

Can you show an example of the action configuration with the exit condition you're using?

Here is a description of my setup:

Solved: Re: Pivot-table like summary for templates allowin... - Google Cloud Community

Wow, i love this....๐Ÿ˜

I thank the AppSheet team for fixing problems with detai views!

In the release of March 21, a long-awaited update was released by me

I confirm the elimination of the problem specified in paragraph 1:

https://www.google cloud community.com/gc/Announcements/In-Preview-New-UI-design-for-desktop-users/m...

Now the detailed view card does not disappear from the viewport (when changing the parent record or grouping)

Editing:

ะ ะตะดะฐะบั‚ะธั€ะพะฒะฐะฝะธะต.gif

Group change:

ะ“ั€ัƒะฟะธั€ะพะฒะบะธ.gif

It's amazing) Now I can enable a new view for my app!

LINK BACK TO ORIGINAL App Collection App

I have an app that merely acts as a "Main portal" with a collection of apps using DeepLinks expressions to launch other apps.

When an app is launched through that main portal, a link appears in the side bar that allows the users to go back to the main portal.

JPAlpano_0-1679483546616.png

However, if I link to an app with Desktop mode view, the back link does not appear and is instead replaced by the generic App Gallery.

JPAlpano_1-1679483611265.png

And moreover, in another dekstop mode app, no link appears at all.

JPAlpano_2-1679483726325.png

Users need to close the app and relaunch the Main portal app manually.

Is this a bug or is there a setting I need to check.  I compared every setting of the two (2) desktop apps and they are the same, so I can't figure out why one shows App gallery, while the other does not show anything.

The following issue was fixed in the March 21, 2023 release:

Item Description
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed an issue with drill-down views where the detail view would disappear in the middle of editing if a grouping column was changed. Drill-down views (multiple groupBy conditions) apply progressive filters based on the previous selections. If one of the grouping columns in a selected detail view is edited, it can make the row "fall out" of the current selection filter. Previously this caused the detail view to immediately disappear in the desktop UI (preview). The row will now remain visible until the selection is changed, even if it falls out of the current selection.

@JPAlpano wrote:

I have an app that merely acts as a "Main portal" with a collection of apps using DeepLinks expressions to launch other apps

I have this configured and it works as it should.

Could you tell us which DeepLink are you using?

Edit button is not showing in dashboard view. @Arthur_Rallu 

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.24.25 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.24.49 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.27.24 AM.png

I can't repro. Can you check that you have the proper general setting as shown below?

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 8.02.03 AM.png

It is turned on

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 8.39.30 PM.png

โ€ƒ

We'll need access to your app for repro, otherwise I'm just going to ask the usual questions - like the one above, or if this points to a slice, or if the "Only if this is true condition" is set up, etc.
I'm assuming it works on mobile on your side, right?

Hi,

The following issues were addressed in the March 23, 2023 release:

Item Description
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixes keyboard navigation within EnumList chips. Previously, keyboard navigation with the left/right arrow keys wouldn't work on chips in the EnumList for the desktop UI. They are now supported, allowing users to quickly traverse through their selected items using the arrow keys.
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed a bug causing the app to freeze when running some looping actions.

@lizlynch wrote:

fixed a bug causing the app to freeze when running some looping actions

@lizlynch the freezing is not there anymore but the looping action is not working properly anymore. Its working perfectly with mobile and editor not in desktop UI. Recently auutomation is also behaving like desktop UI in many scenarios. Please fix atleast automation so we can have a useable app. 

@lizlynch wrote:

For desktop UI (preview), fixed a bug causing the app to freeze when running some looping actions.

Looping action still has issues

This loop is not completely adding or updating and has soo many issues.

This is in editor that works perfectly fine

Looping action 02 - YouTube 

@lizlynch 

Just wanted to make people aware that Autosave does work, but the Auto Reopen on forms within a form do not auto reopen.  Hopefully we can get this updated.

Hi @Arthur_Rallu and @Shahaf and @lly , @lizlynch 

Please recheck and fix bugs action set value with input() function, other column can't get the value after the change. These bugs occured since the update version sync March 17th.

So if I set values to columns by action and log any change with new values, Appsheet only recorded _Thisrowfore value not record with the new value.

Please fix it asap.

Thanks,

Hien

I have a suspicion that the "Edit" button does not open MyTable_Form, but MyTable_Detail with the fields that are described in it.
Situation: table with fields Name1, Name2, FullName (as virtual concatenate(Name1," ",Name2)).
"Edit" shows such a form.

Screenshot_20230324_201701.png
But if System-generated MyTable_Detail view ColumnOrder changed to show only FullName field.
I only see
Screenshot_20230324_201457.png

Ok, this took me several reads to understand.  What you are saying is, when you saved a changed column list in the Detail view definition and then tap Edit, the Form opens and its column list was also impacted.

I think it is a stretch to say that... "the "Edit" button does not open MyTable_Form, but MyTable_Detail", especially since you demonstrated in the first image that the Form is indeed being opened.

Instead, IF there is a bug, it would probably be more accurate to state that changing the column order in the Detail view is ALSO changing the column order in the Form view.  However, you haven't demonstrated that to us.  

There are many ways that the view result you are seeing could have been achieved.  To convince us that there is a problem, you need to show us the column defintions, view definitions, etc.   OR show us a short video re-creating the issue.

I am skeptical only because changing columns to adjust the views is such a common occurrence when building apps, that I would think if this was a bug in the platform it would have been encountered by many people.  

@bonameblisto wrote:

I have a suspicion that the "Edit" button does not open MyTable_Form, but MyTable_Detail with the fields that are described in it.

Your suspicion is well documented since it's the expected behaviour

@SkrOYC wrote:

well documented

Where?

@SkrOYC wrote:

expected behaviour

???

SkrOYC_0-1679685854064.pngTo be honest, I don't recall, since this was one of the first things that we mentioned and there was even a workaround before there was an official way.

You just have to change the Desktop Behaviour under your Edit action

Edit: Here is the official documentation about it:

Actions: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

Thank you!

Sometimes it's useful to open a math book to see if 2+2 really equals 4.

I did not think about the documentation for the standard function ๐Ÿ™‚

Is there a limit to Inline actions to just 3 only ? IF YES then thats bad and needs to be able to add more inline actions.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 10.53.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 10.59.21 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-25 at 10.59.39 AM.png

@Arthur_Rallu 

Edit: This is the response I got from support. I sent them screenshots of DETAIL view in a dashboard and asked if inline action is limited to THREE numbers per column. They send me back there is no issues and sent me back a CARD view picture. Not sure where this is going.

@devingu  this is everyday thing now.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 5.25.24 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-25 at 5.25.34 PM.png