Quick Sync is Generally Available

Quick sync feature allows data updates to be available to users within 1-2 seconds of the updates. This  feature was originally announced in this post and was released under the Preview program. We have now graduated this feature to General Availability(GA). As part of GA, we will also default new apps to have Quick Sync enabled by default. Latest documentation is available here.

A big thanks to the community for trying out the feature and providing us with the valuable feedback.

13 18 2,228
18 REPLIES 18

This has been an amazing feature! It really brought the functionality of our app to the next level. Thank you to everyone who helped achieve this!

I lost track of this feature, it's supporting full security filters now?

@SkrOYC wrote:

I lost track of this feature

Yah, can we get some up to date information about the feature and/or a link to some documentation? @preethamm 

Additionally, should I be going in to all of my apps and manually turning the option on, or will the option be going away and it'll just be part of standard behavior?

Sorry for delay. Documentation is in this help page. This also lists the security filter limitations. Unfortunately, we currently do not turn on existing apps since we were not sure if app creators would like such automatic changes.

Only row-based security filters are supported. An easy to try this is to turn ON the feature in the editor and save. Editor will show a warning and reset if the security filter is not supported. Help page is here. Current infrastructure does not support everything we need to support all the cases. So rest of the support will be reevaluated once the infrastructure improvements are complete. Hope this helps!

We know Google/Appsheet team all the time to delcare GA for new features with "Known bugs", as history says. Could you also add the list of the known/unfixed issues so that we are ready to react without hassle once we turn on this new feature?

@preethamm 

The known limitations/bugs I am aware of are:
- Non row-based security filters are not supported. Details are here
- We have few enterprise users with some security software that interferes with the notifications. We have been monitoring the users impacted and working with security software vendors. Meanwhile, we have a backup mechanism that is delayed by a minute but works the same way. 
- On some devices, there is a corner case with Images and attachments that does not work properly. This does not occur all the time and something we will fix in the coming weeks.
- There is a 10mb limit per row. The only impact I have seen is the image case I mentioned above. We are tracking this as well.
- There is a UI bug where Map views do not refresh all the time. Fix is being worked on.

Imho, marking something as GA is good for the users. This means users have better support commitments, escalation process etc. Preview is best effort support and can be deprecated.

We will have to get used to this new way where 1) You use achronims for a lot of stuff and 2) General availability of a feature doesn't mean it's more mature, it's primarily a change in how it's handled internally and how it's now at the hands of all users

@preethamm Any update on the issue where updates done in quick succession end up "replaying" on the screen during a sync?   Its quite confusing to the user to see that bouncing back and forth and affecting other components we show on screen as well.

This should be fixed.

If you still notice this issue, could you please send me some details how to replicate this? Ideally via customer support or a DM mentioning this thread would be very helpful.

Thanks Preethamm.  Still seeing the issue, just sent you a DM.

I have seen this confusion in some areas and is a great question. I see something similar around Input("", "" ) actions but I can't put my finger on what I see. Sometimes I see old value revert after changing fields but when I save it bounces to old value then new value sort of visually. It works but something feels off visually. 

If this is recent, that sounds like a bug. Could you please send in some details/screenshots, access to the app with this issue ? Customer support mentioning this thread would be ideal. Thanks for pointing this out.

@preethamm - Let me check if last August 22 Release bug mentioned may be related. I create row with loop actions that sync in background and when I click action to perform input or add another child, it seems to reset there in edit or input pop up. So I think this may have helped, will revert once tested. 

ItemDescription
BugWith the desktopUI (preview), fixed a bug where a sync completing after starting to edit a row in place would sometimes automatically cancel the editing session. 

Doesn't work in iframe ๐Ÿ˜ž

Can you fix it ? Please don't tell me it's not possible, because this feature is very good ๐Ÿ˜ž

Thank you @preethamm for this cool feature ๐Ÿ˜€

There seems to be a bug when using quick sync and a map view.

When you click on a map pin to open the detail view and then edit something, the pin and the detail view will disappear after the quick sync. You can only get it back with a manual sync.

This happens in a map view and also in a map view that's part of a dashboard view.
This happens with "normal" edit via the form view and with quick edit.

Here is a demo. Please ignore the many action icons. It's a test app ๐Ÿ˜Š

Quick Sync with Map View.gif

CC @lizlynch 

Ack. This is a known issue and is in the backlog. I will followup internally regarding the fix