30 second sync delay

I've contacted Appsheet support/sales twice without response and I'm unclear on some functionality.

My use case requires that User A enter a record, and User B needs to be able to view that record within 5 seconds or so.  It doesn't have to automatically refresh, but it needs to be visible.  So if I create a record, can another user see it (nearly) instantly if they manually refresh the related view, or is the data really stale for up to 30 minutes?

For some context, this is for a check-in process.  Person checks in, goes to Station 1 (with User A), then immediately to Station 2 (with User B), etc.  The whole process involves 3-5 steps, and takes maybe 5 minutes.  People at Station 3 need to know up to date details from anything added/updated/deleted at Station 2.

Thank you!

Solved Solved
0 9 411
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AppSheet apps are poll type, not push. No immediately auto-update to all user, they need to tap sync to save to & get from clouds.

Note that the sync duration is longer as your tables are bigger. I've a calc-intensive app handling related 15 tables with a biggest child table 25,000+ rows. I have heavily tweaked my app in order to get best sync duration around 17-24 seconds (i.e. moved SELECT-like expressions to process outside the device, etc.)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

To sync promptly from each user's device to the cloud so that data is available to other users when they sync from the cloud to their devices, you can disable Delayed sync and enable Automatic updates.

dbaum_0-1675990364945.png

Definitely helpful for the write portion - but how quickly can Station 2 in my example see changes made by Station 1?  I don't see reference to anything other than just "30 minutes".

@mateoc15 wrote:

can another user see it (nearly) instantly if they manually refresh

Yes

User B needs to know when there is new data so that they can sync their app to retrieve it. You can alert them to new data with a Bot. There are several options: email, SMS, & push notification for mobile users.

So after 5 seconds, if User B manually refreshes they WILL see changes made
5 seconds ago. Is that correct?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

@mateoc15 wrote:

I've contacted Appsheet support/sales twice without response

Attn @devingu 

Hey @mateoc15

Glad to help out.

• Did you use this support URL? https://support.google.com/appsheet/gethelp
  • When did you reach out to our support team?
  • Which channel (chat or email) did you select? Usually we are very responsive (Email within 24 hours with first reply and chat 60 seconds or so).

If you can DM me your case id, I can take a deeper look into it. 

Thanks,

Devin

Ashutosh was able to help via chat support.  I initially submitted a request for feature discussions with sales here.

The answer provided by support was this.
My question: "WRITE/UPDATE changes are synced immediately, so are those changes available for READ by other users immediately if they manually sync?" (I also provided a link to this community post)

Support answer: "Yes, the manual sync is available for immediate sync also."

Here's a follow up question - what's the best way for me to test scenarios like this with multiple users before deploying the app?

AppSheet apps are poll type, not push. No immediately auto-update to all user, they need to tap sync to save to & get from clouds.

Note that the sync duration is longer as your tables are bigger. I've a calc-intensive app handling related 15 tables with a biggest child table 25,000+ rows. I have heavily tweaked my app in order to get best sync duration around 17-24 seconds (i.e. moved SELECT-like expressions to process outside the device, etc.)

Top Labels in this Space