Actions - Set a value in Table A when a specific form from Table B is saved

Hi AppSheet community!

When I save my Filter history_Form (“Filter history”-table) I want to trigger an action that will set the value of the Status-Column in my Filter list-table to Done.
Filter Unique ID is the unique identifier that links everything together.

I’ve been reading up on the workflow sections but can’t seem figure out how to pull this off.
So I’ve figured out actions from one table can’t be used on event actions in another tables forms.
Is there any workaround?

Any help is appreciated

0 9 1,640
9 REPLIES 9

You actually do not need a workflow. An action will do the trick. In the UX description of the Form - Behavior section, there is an option for Form Saved. Update this to be you newly created Action. Anytime the Form is saved this action will fire.

NOTE: If you did not explicitly create the Form, then it is a system generated Form which you CAN still change. At the bottom of the UX list you will see a link to “show system views”.

If you not certain of which Form your app is using, look in the bottom left hand corner of the device simulator in the editor. It shows the view name there.

Good Luck!!

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply!

I was aware of this section but I couldn’t add the ones I wanted and I now understand why.
The form I’m trying to save is in Table B.
But my action to change the status column is in Table A.
I can’t add my action from Table A to a form from Table B.

So save new input from Table B should mark a column in Table A.

Any way to get around this?

Thanks!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

2X_9_9b24cdaab5e77019fd232d038a08fa1044532af8.png

Does the answer to this question help?

I’ve been looking into the “Execute an action on a set of rows” but that requires one column to be a list for it to work and with every column I change to list or create virtuals I get a bunch of errors about that list.
Just can’t this option to work properly.

For me the action button is only for one record, not a list of records.
I’m assuming there is an easy and different approach to this problem.

Hi @Jens_Damen Did you check out this article?

Hi Lynn

Thank you for your reply!

I managed to get it to work with this article.
Only downside seems that it doesn’t trigger until synced.

I have a slice that displays the items that have no status attached and when setting it do done it will move out of this slice.
When setting it to Done manually makes it instantly move out of my slice as intended but with this it seems to stay until I sync.
This app will be used offline a lot so I’m wondering if I could do something extra here?

Thank you!

Workflows will ONLY execute on the server. If you are offline a lot, then you will want to use Actions.

The “execute on a set of rows” should work. You do not need a List or Ref column. You only need to be able to select the row (or rows) in your target table with a FILTER() or SELECT() expression.

Is there some criteria in your Saved row that you can use to identify the row that needs to have its Status updated? If not, is there something you can add?

Here is an example that I use int he app I cam currently building.

A bit of explanation, I want my Inventory to be updated when the Product row changes. In this example I am tracking Allocated amounts - meaning Products in Inventory that are “reserved” for scheduled Work Order.

I select the Inventory record using a SELECT() expression (the TOP() statement is not really needed since I only ever expect a single row).

2X_0_071604a2c369171da97a455e966b1a475d7fd60d.png

Top Labels in this Space