Added users are not able to Edit the App

Hello team,

I have added a user to my app with โ€œcan edit definitionโ€ privilege, and with role โ€œAdminโ€.
But it is observed that the user is not able to add more tables to the app. In fact, he is not able to see any data source in the data source list.

Is it that only the app creator is allowed to Edit the app definition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 5 1,001
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Shirish_Parsekar - if the user has been given the permission to โ€˜edit the definitionโ€™, they should be able to view the data tables and add new ones - not sure what may be preventing them. Is the user unable to see the tables in the AppSheet editor, or unable to access the actual data source when they click โ€˜View Sourceโ€™?

Hi @Peter,

The user is able to see the tables in the AppSheet editor, but when he clicks on โ€œAdd New Tableโ€, he cannot see the already added data source. Plus, if he adds a new data source, the newly added data source is not shown either.

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification - the short answer is that there are protections in place with how data sources can be connected & associated to different AppSheet accounts. When your co-author is attempting to connect a new data source and add a new table to this app, what they would actually be doing is adding that data source to your account - the ability to do that is limited to our Business Subscription. I can help introduce you to someone to discuss in more detail - otherwise, in the short term, itโ€™s best if the app owner manage the data sources & tables.

@Peter thanks for details.

Do I have a solution to this situation? What if I need to add more tables to this app? I think any team member with edit privilege should be allowed to perform such modifications to the app independently of the appโ€™s author.

Hi Shirish,

If it does not present a security issue for you - put your tables into the AppSheet\Data directory for your app and give your co-authors access to the folder. Then they should be able to access the source and add new data from the same source.

For example if you use Google Drive the app will by default store to MyDrive\AppSheet\Data\Your-App-Name-123456 (where the numeric is your appsheet account). Give the user edit permissions on the Your-App-Name-123456 folder. Again, only if you have no security issues with granting this permission.

This works for Google Drive at least and may be the same on other providers platforms.

This doesnโ€™t detract from what Peter has stated. This is a work around. The App owner is the best gatekeeper for adding tables and this will avoid complications down the track should you need to remove user permissions.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Top Labels in this Space