Adding a Child to Multiple Parents

I have assets which have parts associated with them.This works well. However, there are very often the same parts for multiple assets. At the moment I have to go to each asset and enter the parts separately every time.

Iโ€™m trying to find a way to open or add a part and select which assets they belong to (rather like an ENumLIst) and when I save the form, the parent assets pick up the children parts.

At the moment I have an asset table and parts table linked with a common column EquipRef

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

0 9 436
9 REPLIES 9

Is there any other reason for ref field than having the inline list view in the Assets detail view?

Only that it links and is related to the asset table. Which is the master table for the whole app.

I assume that there is no need to be able track each part on each asset individually?

Maybe the easiest way would be to have the Part table as the parent and the Assest as the child?

Simon@1minManager.com

Thx Simon. The asset table is the master for the whole app, so this wonโ€™t work in this instance

I was thinking thisโ€ฆ remove Ref field and use EnumList (from Assets table) instead. Then create a virtual List column to your Assets table like SELECT(Parts[KeyColumn],IN([_THISROW].[KeyColumn],[Assets]))

I placed the following in a new column with a suggested value

SPLIT(LIST(Asset Data[Asset Number]),",")

The column was set up as a EnumList.

Works nicely.

Now I just need a way to display the parts under the assetโ€ฆ

Then my approach should work.

Thank you !

Youโ€™re welcome

Top Labels in this Space