Adding a new row to a table through a Dashboard view created from a slice

GW375

I am working to make my app more efficient utilizing more references and combining my data into larger tables with slices as described here:

App Design: Multiple tables vs. Single table + multiple slices - Tips & Tricks - AppSheet Creator C...

I have a single โ€˜Catalogโ€™ table which contains 4 different types of products (rather than 4 different tables for each product type). This catalog table does not allow additions, deletes or edits. The data is displayed via a Dashboard with a view made from a slice created from each of the 4 products. From this slice view you can add the product to the โ€˜Inventoryโ€™ table.

The โ€˜Inventoryโ€™ table allows additions, deletions and edits. There is column reference to the Catalog table. The โ€˜Inventoryโ€™ table needs to be populated either from the products in the catalog table (using the action I created) or the user can add an item outside of the catalog table. I use a dashboard view created from slices of the products in inventory table to display the data. Unfortunately, the floating โ€œAddโ€ action is not showing up in the slice view of the dashboard. Therefore I canโ€™t add an item outside of the those in the catalog table. Any suggestions of where I am making an error?

Solved Solved
0 4 860
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GW375

After hitting my head against the wall for another day I found the solution to my problem. To get the โ€˜Add Overlay Actionโ€™ to show in dashboard views you must goto:
UXโ€“>Optionsโ€“>Dashboard sectionโ€“>Turn on โ€œShow overlay Actions in Dashboardโ€

See community post:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You may need to include the action in the slice definition- please check.

GW375

I believe the โ€˜Add Actionโ€™ is added to the slice definition. This is a screen shot of the slice:

GW375

After hitting my head against the wall for another day I found the solution to my problem. To get the โ€˜Add Overlay Actionโ€™ to show in dashboard views you must goto:
UXโ€“>Optionsโ€“>Dashboard sectionโ€“>Turn on โ€œShow overlay Actions in Dashboardโ€

See community post:

For anyone finding this now:

You might find the following video series I put together helpful, seems like it's kind of in line with what you're doing.

How to make an Order App in AppSheet | EVOLUTION SERIES: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4qc7daF3rczyFE7kviX_U_9lH4Z-pY9

Happy building! ๐Ÿ˜€

Top Labels in this Space