Anyone else seeing - "Object reference not set to an instanceof an object"?

UPDATE:  This error is also impacting Bots.  My client and I both have different apps where Bots are failing for the same reason described here.  This is now a critical issue that needs addressed immediately!

I am getting this error, out of nowhere, in an app I am editing AND it was reported to me by a client in another app I do not have access to.  Meaning its affecting multiple apps and likley an AppSheet Side problem.

Regardless,  App Creators should never see these type of error messages.  They are useless to us.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 6.50.39โ€ฏPM.png

1 14 462
14 REPLIES 14

Normally that error message identifies some kind of bug in the code. Please contact support with this so devs could check the reason.

I did not experience so far today but there have been a few other community members reporting the same today.

Object reference not set to an instance of an obje... - Google Cloud Community

Check also that all tab names are correctly typed in your data source (if it's a gSheet) if someone has modified some of them by mistake.

My client, reporting the issue, uses a database.  He is now also reporting that Bots are failing with the same error message.

The app I am editing does use G-Sheets but is stable from a data perspective and has not had any changes to tabs or datatables in quite some time.

Same thing on our end. No changes were made, just woke up to that error across multiple apps.

Please submit to AppSheet.  The more example they have the better for them to identify and resolve.

Hey all, we are aware of the issue and looking into it. Thanks for your patience! 

Thank you for the acknowledgement.  It is extremely helpful to know AppSheet is aware.  In that spirit, in case AppSheet is not currently aware, please note that this issue has extended to affecting the running of Bots/Automation as well, preventing normal production updates AND is, at least, affecting MANY end users.

It seems this is a widespread critical issue and warrants a Community Announcement.

Same here Willow. Multiple errors on some of our apps.

In addition to that we also received errors stating our google sheets were not in .xlsx format. I wonder if they are connected?

Error: Unable to read the spreadsheet for 'Authorization' because it is not in .xlsx format

Appsheet support was abysmal. They recommended that I create a new google sheet and swap the data. If the issue still persists then they would escalate.โ€ƒ

Screenshot 2024-01-11 9.53.59 AM.png

Hey Patrick, sorry for the confusion. Our support team was not aware of this issue because the issue was just escalated a few minutes ago.

Please stay tuned while we are investigating the root cause. Thank you!

Support told me today that my bots are the problem. It didn't matter or they didn't believe me that most of the bots were up and running for months or years. 

Anyway, it was a SF situation.

I had the Object error and some bots didn't work anymore. The Object error persisted even when I disabled the malfunctioning bots , even when I deleted them.

When I did disable another bot (suggested by support as being my fault), a still working one, the Object error disappeared and the malfunctioning bots started working again . That's the SF situation.

I recreated from scratch a perfect clone of a malfunctioning one, with copy/paste for every formula and text written by me, and it worked, with no object error . That's how I concluded that I have no wrong formulas or bot configuration. 

In the apps that I have an Object error, the malfunctioning/strange bots , have in common the notification purposes , some to mobiles, some to mails , some to webhooks (to google chat spaces). This is a possible nominator for my apps with the Object Error.

As of a few minutes ago, the Object error disappeared from my apps , and all my bots are running again, without me doing anything.

Thank appsheet team. 

We are curious about the reason of today's situation .

The object error reappeared in some of my apps, but in fewer apps than yesterday. Bots are still working at this moment.

I donยดt know if it could be a common error, but yesterday i woke up with my apps, all of them, couldn't upload the images. One of the users he could see them yesterday but today reported me the same problem. We use these app since 4 years ago in the same way and never happened, any change i have madeCaptura de pantalla 2024-01-12 111605.png

Top Labels in this Space