App Implementation Strategy. I'm building a...

App Implementation Strategy.

I’m building a work order app for construction company I work for and trying to figure out if it all can be done with one app, or, if it will require multiple apps based off of a shared set of tables. The two category of users are:

EXTERNAL USERS (non-employees) Inspectors will use the app to request repairs and check on status of requests. They’ll only have 3 available options - request work, view all open work orders, view all closed work orders; no update rights. Potentially 15-35 users.

INTERNAL USERS (employees) 1 - Scheduler/Planner will use the app to prioritize and schedule work for field staff. Can also add, update, delete work orders.

2 - Field Staff will use app to perform work assigned specifically to them, update status of request, and capture labor, fleet, materials hours and costs.

3 - Supervisors will use app to monitor overall operations (status of work, labor hours, fleet hours, costs, etc.)

Am I delving into Franken-App territory trying to do this as 1 app? Better/simpler to use multiple apps? Thoughts on how many?..

0 8 404
8 REPLIES 8

It’s all preference… I’d probably spin up one app gallery, and 4 applications, one for each user to. More than anything this will help keep you focused on the user while developing the individual apps. The gallery will give you simple show_if and make it easier if you end up white label

Thanks, Grant. What do you mean by app gallery?

May I ask first what plan are you going to use? Premium?

help.appsheet.com - Launching Apps from AppSheet’s Mobile App Gallery Launching Apps from AppSheet’s Mobile App Gallery help.appsheet.com

@Aleksi_Alkio Premium, at a minimum. Any suggestions or other considerations before choosing?

@Grant_Stead Thank you!

I would prefer to use one app in this case because all these “apps” would have the same structure and functionalities (the user level is just different). For your purpose you would need to create an user table with categories/usergroups but I believe you would need to do that even with separate apps. All apps would use the same database as well so that doesn’t help you either. With the Premium plan you can use security filter which filter the data as you wish and at the same time, you can reduce the data size for the user’s device depending on what the usergroup is.

One benefit is that you don’t need to maintain more than one app. There is no correct answer for this one as Grant wrote… it depends on so many different factors.

Thanks, gentlemen. Lots of great points!

Top Labels in this Space