Appsheet Database [Row ID] Limitation

It appears that the internal Appsheet database does not allow setting [Row ID] within lets say Apps Script and using the API. If I add rows without setting the [Row ID] in the payload, the rows get added, however if I set a [Row ID] within the payload then I receive an error.

Could someone clarify the functionality regarding this please. I have a use case that really requires using Apps Script and the API to generate new records and adding single rows then getting the [Row ID] to set a reference column for new records in another table takes too long for the script to execute and results in other unwanted errors. So generating my own keys and then bulk adding with those generated keys does not work either due to some system limitation apparently.

Solved Solved
0 4 612
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use a different column as the row key.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Use a different column as the row key.

This does work, however due to a relationship with another table it required further tweaks. Specifically this rendered the Appsheet database 'reference' column useless and instead it required just a 'text' column and the relationship to be set within the application itself.

Consider reporting this confusion/issue in the announcement thread focused on this preview feature:  Introducing new AppSheet database feature in publi... - Google Cloud Community

Hello dbaum, you who know a lot about this, I'm asking you on purpose. It is my understanding that Appsheet DataBase is no longer considered Beta. I have been in the habit of using [Row ID] as the row id because I thought this was a native feature of the Appsheet base, however I don't know if I am doing this as a good practice. Do you think I should use [Row ID] as Row Id or not? I don't think about gray solutions since I need to standardize the app production process, so I wouldn't want to mix ways of creating varied row identifiers. I appreciate your vision in advance.

Top Labels in this Space