Should I go for 2 different apps or 1 app only?

I have a situation.

Goal: I have 2 teams, onground & offground. The onground team takes care of customer communication & onground team takes care of certain on ground chores. I want both the teams to have visibility to the data which they need. Should I make 2 different apps or should I do filtering in one app itslef?

If I make 2 different apps, then the datasource also becomes different or can I have a common database because certain details will be simillar in both the cases.

Please guide me on this.

0 7 307
7 REPLIES 7

@Suvrutt_Gurjar @AleksiAlkio  What do you suggest?

Can someone please guide me on this?

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Aditya_Vinayak_ 

You should use only one app.

I suggest you read this:

Current User (Slice) | How to conform your app a... - Google Cloud Community

@Aurelien The sceanario is more like how Uber has a customer facing & a driver app.

I have 2 teams, one is onground and one is offground. During the journey of the customer at some point the few views/data will be common for both the teams. But what work they need to do on the app is quite different.

Still do you think one app is good to go?

It's really up to you, there is no universal truth.

@Aditya_Vinayak_ wrote:

But what work they need to do on the app is quite different.

This allow you to control what may happen, if you have any concern over your data:

Control add, update, and delete operations - AppSheet Help

and also:

Limit users to particular tables, views, and actions - AppSheet Help

If users need to access limited amount of data, you can read this:

Security filters: The Essentials - AppSheet Help

But again, it's up to you.

From my perspective, the only thing with having two apps is that you will provide twice much efforts into updating data structure and conditions in your apps. 

I used the two scenarios for different clients when it went more about administration privilege, because it was easier on the staff size, and the size of the company allowed it.

If you feel more secure using two apps, go for it.

@Aurelien wrote:

From my perspective, the only thing with having two apps is that you will provide twice much efforts into updating data structure and conditions in your apps. 

Same

If I can get everything in one app, that's my goal.  If built appropriately you shouldn't have any problems with loading times or anything.  

I've got an app that's an EMR with over 20 tables, 5 of which we regularly maintain to keep them less than 100k records each; but all of them are over 40k.  There's 5,000 patient records, and nearly half a million other records all reference connected to their various patients, and with this setup the system takes 8 - 15 seconds to load.

Thank you @MultiTech @aurelien for your advise.

Any tips you would have for me to keep in mind when the database in the app becomes too much, how to control the speed & load time.

Top Labels in this Space