Appsheet app templates for crossword puzzles

I am in the process of making crossword puzzles, which spreadsheet template is best to utilize?

How do i get players enter letters in the crossword table by typing?

Solved Solved
0 4 117
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I don't expect Appsheet to be a suitable platform for crossword puzzles.

View solution in original post

There is not a way to dynamically control the column widths in views.  These would need to be pre-set in some way.  You can dynamically control number of rows with filtering.

I think I would have the main table represent the max grid size I want in the app - say 20 columns.  Then create Slices - one for each column width needed - 6 columns, 7 columns, 8 columns.

You will then need to create a separate view for each Slice and the Table.

When you create puzzles for the app, you are going to know how many columns and rows are needed.  You'll want to "remember" the needed grid size so you can easily determine which view and how many rows are needed

NOTE:  I am NO assuming grids are squares.  You may have a 7 columns by 10 rows for example.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I don't expect Appsheet to be a suitable platform for crossword puzzles.

@ROMUSONGA wrote:

which spreadsheet template is best to utilize?

spreadsheet template?  Do you mean app template?  If so, you will not find one.

While it might be possible to create a crossword puzzle type app in AppSheet, it would be very crude aesthetically.    AppSheet targets business apps currently and is not very UI graphics centric at the moment - meaning there isn't a lot of options on display imagery.

However, if I were to attempt to create a crossword puzzle,  I would start by creating the grid using an Editable Table view - just a Table view with the QuickEdit setting turned on. Use letters as the column headers and numbers labeling the rows to identify cells for the - "1b across" or "5g down" designations.   Then grow the view from that.  For instance, figure out how to "block off" those cells that do not participate in the current puzzle.  Etc...

I hope this helps!

Thanks I am following your suggestion. However, Is there away I can change the size and arrangement of text boxes to fit a matrix (column x Row) of 49 on one slide in the app table view?

There is not a way to dynamically control the column widths in views.  These would need to be pre-set in some way.  You can dynamically control number of rows with filtering.

I think I would have the main table represent the max grid size I want in the app - say 20 columns.  Then create Slices - one for each column width needed - 6 columns, 7 columns, 8 columns.

You will then need to create a separate view for each Slice and the Table.

When you create puzzles for the app, you are going to know how many columns and rows are needed.  You'll want to "remember" the needed grid size so you can easily determine which view and how many rows are needed

NOTE:  I am NO assuming grids are squares.  You may have a 7 columns by 10 rows for example.

Top Labels in this Space