Automatically open pdf in workflow

Chinh

hi,
Iโ€™m new with Appsheet and hoping for some pointers please.
Iโ€™m trying to print out receipts for my service order app. Iโ€™m aware that it takes some work around to print in Appsheet. So this is what iโ€™ve got so far after gathering pieces from different helpful threads here.

1. I created an action column in my sheet > then created an action to change the value of that column > which in turn triggers a workflow (based on the value update of that column) to create a pdf file based on a google doc template.
  2. Then I had to create another separate action to open that pdf file in a browser,
  3. Then print it from there.
    Everything went smoothly, and I was able to print.

However I was wondering if thereโ€™s a better/more streamline method to combine step 1 and 2 into just 1 action & 1 workflow (instead of in my case having to click on action 1, wait 30 seconds, then click action 2, before clicking print from the browser.)
Perhaps, is there a way to trigger opening of a file as one of the steps inside my workflow? I saw some advanced threads about using google app script and deep links to achieve similar tasks via the webhook route. But Iโ€™m not quite sure thatโ€™s the only possible route to achieve my goalโ€ฆ
Hope my question make sense & thank you all in advance.

1 5 751
5 REPLIES 5

I have the same question, does anybody have any idea on this ? 

If you can skip step 2, you can create an action to send the pdf file by email directly to the printer; all major printer brands today have this facility for almost all printer models. 

Thanks Joseph,

This is good for printing need !

You can't open a file directly like if it's generated on real time when you tap/click it and then it opens.

The best option would be (IMO):

1. Action that adds a new row to a child table and forces sync
  2. Child record has a file column with a known unique name made via Initial Value
  3. Bot that creates a pdf when there is an add to the child table, the file name should be taken from the file column of step 2

With this you would have a row that has the file just created. From there you can open directly.

A quick search through the community will show you posts about this

Thanks  to you, now I know the force sync by adding the

& "&at=" & (NOW() + 1)

to LINKTOROW() or LINKTOVIEW()

Top Labels in this Space