Backend database connections limit question

Good day,

Iโ€™m looking to leverage either a MySQL or SQL Server database for the backend of my app (on Google Cloud)

I will be white labelling the app to publish on Google and Apple app stores.

I have two questions:

1. How does AppSheet handle connections to backend database? For example, is every user considered a โ€œdatabase connectionโ€ or does AppSheet use a separate mechanism to handle the communications back and forth between the Appsheet and database? As I look at the MySQL licensing, it looks like it the database connections max out at 4000 connections. So if Appsheet just does a pass through of users and our app has more than 4000 connections just wanting to address this item of scale now before I deploy.
    Just looking to understand if Appsheet leverages some sort aggregated communication channel to backend database

2. Any feedback the user community has on either MySQL or SQL Server re: usage, performance, pricing etc. Iโ€™ve worked with SQL a lot but new to MySQL. However I know MySQL is heavily deployed and is generally considered a good reasonable database from a price perspective while performing equally as well as SQL Server.
    Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

0 4 746
4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Apps never directly interact with the database, either directly or by proxy. The app works with a device-local copy of the data. The data is periodically synced with AppSheet servers. Itโ€™s the AppSheet servers that interact with the database.

See also:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that info.

So what youโ€™re saying is that I donโ€™t need to worry about a database plan that has to scale based on users, correct?

For example if my app is in use by 5000 users, I donโ€™t need a database plan that provides for 5000 concurrent users, correct?

So is there anything I need to be aware of re: connection between Appsheet App and a database residing on Google Cloud?

Thanks,
Paul

I canโ€™t make any commitments, and can only speak in hypotheticals here and based on my incomplete understanding of AppSheetโ€™s inner workings. However, given that app users are funneled through AppSheetโ€™s servers, and itโ€™s AppSheetโ€™s severs that talk to your database, I would expect a vastly smaller number of database connections than users. Itโ€™s probably also hugely unlikely all 5000 users would all simultaneously sync. That said, I encourage you to contact sales@appsheet.com. I expect theyโ€™re in a much better position to address these very legitimate concerns.

The best I can do is point you to the web site, Iโ€™m afraid, and Sales.

Thanks Steve,

I suspected as much, that there is some aggregated โ€œpipeโ€ between Appsheet and database, just wanted to validate. Otherwise, if it were a โ€œuser pass throughโ€ the database licensing could be very expensive.

Thanks again, Iโ€™ll reach out to the sales team.

Paul

Top Labels in this Space