Bluetooth Barcode Laser Scanner

acalle

I made an inventory app for fixed assets. Currently it scans asset barcode tags by camera. Is it possible to use a bluetooth barcode laser scanner to obtain a barcode tag? If so which bluetooth laser scanner works best? Is it also possible to use both to obtain a barcode using the camera or laser scanner? Thanks!

1 8 601
8 REPLIES 8

Hello. Sorry to say but no bluetooth scanner will work, bluetooth in general is not implemented in the AppSheet app or platform.

You will want to use the built-in scannable option for an Appsheet field marked as “text” or “ref”. This triggers the camera function on your smartphone or device, all from within AppSheet itself. You may have already read our help article on scanning, but here it is: https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/961642-using-a-barcode-scanner

Am I reading this post wrong then that they are using bluetooth barcode scanners with appsheet?

AppSheet itself doesn’t inherently support Bluetooth, but any connected Bluetooth device that delivers input as a keyboard should work, I’d think.

Ah, that’s an interesting nuance. I had not tested this personally so didn’t think about this possibility.

Can you please expand upon this Steve? If I wanted to build some functions in a restaurant app such as receipt printing, opening a cash drawer etc. is there some direct or even crazy workaround to achieve this?

You say delivers input so I’d assume you mean the instant communication via bluetooth is only one way?

AppSheet can receive input from any Bluetooth device that behaves as a keyboard. AppSheet cannot push data to any Bluetooth device, so AppSheet cannot use Bluetooth-attached printers. I doubt cash drawers would be usable, too.

Man that would be epic if Appsheet ever looked to integrate something like this. I would imagine tons of people have use cases.

Do you see anything from your insiders perspective which would lead you to believe this will be possible at some point?

I do not, but understand my “insider status” isn’t that deep.

Top Labels in this Space