Bot wont trigger if google sheets is updated manually

I have a google form for “IT Service Requests” that when a new record is created via the form, I want my appsheet to trigger a “send chat message”.

I have zero issues if I fill out the form via the app but I want to avoid having user use the app to fill out the form. I want the form to be google form or any external form but the bot doesnt seem to trigger if google sheets is updated on the backend. 

I also have installed “Appsheets Events” and my sheet is set to ON.

Appsheets will update with the form submissions but my bot does not trigger. 

IMG_2134.jpeg

0 17 533
17 REPLIES 17

I have also been experiencing this.  AppSheet events worked well with Google Forms before.  But lately, it doesn't seem to trigger the bots anymore.

I don't know what changed.

Ive tried other work arounds as well. 

Tried the Boolean method “if column is true” but that also isn’t working. 

So strange the appsheet will update but wont trigger any automation. 

Has it worked earlier with the same app but now suddenly stopped without any change with the app?

The triggers work and still work so as long as I initiate the form on the app itself and/or update/modify the records from within the app. 

But as far as using an external source, i.e Google Forms - appsheets syncs the data no problem but any automation does not work if the form is receiving data outside of appsheets.

I have also tried conditioning columns, such as “submit to chat” with Boolean (Yes/No) - with the hopes it know it reads the command and triggers, which again work no problem if I do it from the app, like an action trigger. 

But has the Bot worked earlier with this app when you have modified the gSheet data manaually or with the gForm? 

No. 

Have you tried to uninstall the Event extension and then add it back?

I have yes. And I have tried a few other methods. Including starting over haha.. 

Seems to be an overall glitch/bug. From what I could find online the typical solution was Appsheets Events, but that seems to not be working. 

I think my next solution will be just to trigger the automation I am trying to achieve by appscript and have sheets deliver the email instead.

By any chance.. are you trying to add or update the row with other services than manually or gForm? Because if you try to do it with GAS etc. it won't trigger any Bot.

Right now, I have a google form, for IT Requests. 

When the form is submitted it goes to the spreadsheet. That spreadsheet is my database in appsheets. 

Appsheets has NO problem receiving the data and showing its contents within the app. The data can be updated, edited, deleted.. everything no problem. 

I simply want my bot that upon any new rows added, it will send a chat notification to a google space i have connected to update my IT department they have a new ticket. 

If a user fills out the form directly ON appsheet, the bot works fine. 
If the user fills out the form via Google Sheets, the bot does NOT work. 

JSO
Silver 2
Silver 2

In my experience, the AppSheet Event extension works on registry modifications but not on Registration or Deletions.
Of course, for changes, you must have defined the Tables that you want to control and you must have defined a bot in AppSheet that reacts to said changes.

I have tried registering records using the AppSheet API from GAS and I suspect (I have not verified it) that in this case the bots may be activated.

If you are sending the data through AppSheet API it works as it doesn't have anything to do with the gSheet or AppSheet Event add-on. The Bots are triggered only via gForm or manually updates directly in the gSheet 

So is there at the moment just not a solution for this? I can workaround the notification via appscript to just send an email instead upon a new form submission.. but wanted to really use the appsheet feature and have it send to the chats

I made a quick test with a simple app, and the AppSheet Event extension is activated, the sheet is selected with the "Turn events ON/OFF" and the Bot is triggered as "Adds", Updates" and "Deletes". When I change something from the gSheet manually, it triggers the Bot as normally. My test app is in Prototype mode. 

Have you tried via depoloyed? I thought the chat apps could not be set up until app is deployed right?

Have you checked from the Audit history is the Bot triggered? It should show up there.

Yeah… it’s just not being triggered no matter what I do. So as long as the sheet is updated manually, none of my automation or actions work. If i do it within the app, no problem. 

The problem with that, is some of my forms are just a little too long to have to direct someone to an appsheet. 

Seems to be a bug at the moment. Created a few other apps and same problem. 

Top Labels in this Space