Breaking References question.. So.. I have ...

Breaking References questionโ€ฆ

Soโ€ฆ I have the following structureโ€ฆ

TABLES Students - Student (key), Completed Date, Registered Classes (Registrations REF) Registrations - Student, Class (combined key) Classes - Class (key), Start Date, End Date, Registered Students (Registrations REF)

SLICES Current Students - students where completed date is null Current Classes - classes where end date has not passed Students Pending Registration - students where COUNT of Registered Classes = 0

Here is the issueโ€ฆ

When I assign a student to a classโ€ฆ heโ€™s no longer in the Students Pending Registration sliceโ€ฆ so โ€ฆ the REF breaks between Students & Registrations

is there a way to REF back to Current Students? while showing the Students Pending Registration in the registrations form?

Thanks again โ€ฆ

0 7 339
7 REPLIES 7

#SOLVED

@David_Hopkins, I donโ€™t understand the question but I would like to remind you about the valid_if property on the column.

Itโ€™s not clear how โ€œthe REF breaks between Students & Registrationsโ€ when you โ€œassign a student to a class [because] heโ€™s no longer in the Students Pending Registration sliceโ€. How is the Students Pending Registration slice involved in the Ref between Students and Registrations?

@Steven_Coile soโ€ฆ

Registrations runs against Student Registrations Sliceโ€ฆ which in turn runs against students.

The slice says, if not registered then show. So, once the student is registered, they no longer appear in the slice.

I think im going to try @Challa_Ramakrishnaโ€™s recommendation, and revert the REF back to STudents with a โ€œvalid ifโ€ element that deals with the if not registered filter.

Okโ€ฆ So I pointed all of the REFs back to the actual table data rather than a slice, and used the Valid IF with the Select statement that made all of the slices work correctly. Soโ€ฆ a little fine tuning and all of my REF links are working again โ€ฆ and I only see the appropriate items in the listโ€ฆ

Soโ€ฆ WIN!

Thanks Guys for your help and directionโ€ฆ

@Challa_Ramakrishna @Steven_Coile

@David_Hopkins I LOVE your first-comment hash-tag status indicator! What a great idea!

Thanks @Steven_Coile Its the only way i can find stuff that is still openโ€ฆ soโ€ฆ the first comment is always hash-tag open โ€ฆ then I just change it when the issue has been solved, or fixed, or what everโ€ฆ lol

Top Labels in this Space