Bug? Wrong Initial Value in Enum Columns

When you add a new row in a table, without manually selecting a value in a column that has an invalid value (eg: "Yellow") as the initial value for an enum column (eg: "Red","Blue"), saving is not alerting you about the invalid value, but the row got stucked in the Sync process, because it doesnt comply with the enum alternatives. 

Is so simple to reproduce, so perhaps ... Am I missing something?

0 5 263
5 REPLIES 5

I was not able to reproduce this with the simple case as shown below.

Marc_Dillon_0-1657892957402.png

Upon opening a form for a new record, what the column shows is dependent on the enum's display mode. With "dropdown" it shows that 4 is entered in:

Marc_Dillon_1-1657893036721.png

but with "button", it just shows the 3 options with nothing selected:

Marc_Dillon_2-1657893062373.png

In both cases, trying to save the record shows me the standard "this entry is invalid" message on that field.

Marc_Dillon_3-1657893103931.pngMarc_Dillon_4-1657893116913.png

Is your setup different in some way?

Hello Marc! Txs for your answer.

I see you are using Valid_If, and I'm just adding valid values to the Enum in Type Details

cosiniri_0-1657896132210.png

In the form these are choices: 

cosiniri_1-1657896221624.png

But by mistake, I left "Todos" in the Initial Value for this column:

cosiniri_2-1657896294855.png

If you don't touch choices in the form, the field doesn't claim anything, and Save neither...

Perhaps "Valid_If" imposes more control? But anyway, it's weird that there is no claims in the form, but sync got stucked trying to save data that breaks the Enum choices..

I believe manually providing the Enum options like you did is equivalent to using the "Suggested Values" setting, which doesn't impose strict validation on the value. I again tested the situation, not using valid_if this time, but still was unable to reproduce your exact issue, this time I was able to successfully save the record with the value of 4 left unchanged. Please post a screenshot of the exact error that you're seeing.

Hi Marc,

This is the message Sync throws in my case, .... and it begins to repeat (in every attempt I guess?):

cosiniri_0-1657907024240.png

I thought as you, that specifying enum values there, could just be a kind of help for users, and not a real restriction (seems to be an option for that), ... but anyway, if that was the case, sync should work even when the initial value was not among the alternatives. I guess that checks did during "Save" should be consistent with that in Sync. 

Are you sure that in your case any not detailed value is accepted during Sync? 

I'd call this a bug.

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

I've also escalated internally.

Top Labels in this Space