Can we use one Appsheet data model in multiple Apps?

Hi All,

I want to create multiple apps with same data source but I don't want to data modeling in all apps. Do we have any way to perform data modeling at one place and then use same data in multiple apps?

2 5 334
5 REPLIES 5

Unfortunately there is no way of "sharing a column setup" from one app to another. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• You have to go through each column, in each app that shares the table, and set the columns up.

You don't have to set everything up 100% most of the time though

Most of the time, you'll have one app that's the data collection point; this app needs all the formulas for validation, heavy lifting, etc.  But the other apps are typically only displaying the data, and making the occasional update (like changing a status value, or adding a date to a column or something); in situations like this, only the column TYPE needs to be set - all other settings (from the original data collection app) don't need to be there, as those settings don't come into play anymore.

This request is the holy grail mate - we've been asking for this....

For-ev-er (Sandlot).gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There IS a way to include some code in a google sheet header, that when added to an AppSheet app they tell the system how to set the column settings.  I call the code you put in the headers "note parameters", but they're unbelievably finnicky and generally a nightmare to get right.

Over the years I found certain tables I was including all the apps I was building, so I took the time to figure out the code for them; they're available to my Patreon supporters.

I'm also in the process of taking these tables, and producing a more refined product - complete with the table, general instructions, any specific final steps you need to take to integrate the table into your app, and a set of instructions for how you use the table once it's inside your app.  These are slow going, as I've got a lot of irons in the fire at the moment, but they'll eventually be available at www.AppSheetInsider.com/shop 

Be aware of Object Oriented (OO) that has been mentioned in Microsoft PowerApps forum. Frankly say Microsoft is good at it too, so OO may be possible in future on its platform.

In the meantime AppSheet is still like old-school copy & paste as in development aspect. No way to reuse views/actions/codes/expressions/etc. in term of inheritance across different apps. It's very much difficult to organize/update/maintain complicated apps. Or this may already position where AppSheet means to be in app development.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question. It's just a message to AppSheet team if they come by.

@Swoopy wrote:

".....It's very much difficult to organize/update/maintain complicated apps."

AppSheet's official position on how to handle complex systems has always been:

• Many apps, each relatively simple and straight forward for a specific task/job/position, all connected together using same tables.

Everyone reading this thread can clearly see why this is inherently flawed - from an efficient development workflow standpoint

My advice has always been to build one massive app, using the Current User system to differentiate functionality between users.

• But this means you've got to build your app right, from the ground up

Your point only scopes on one app. I'm talking about development framework. For example I have created a basic calculator app for a group of users. It's good for most people, very lean & clean & smooth & fast.

Now I need to create a fancy scientific calculator for nerds having everything already made in my basic calculator plus additional features and also new look and feel.

In AppSheet I've 2 choices.

1. Copy the basic calculator and modify it. But if bugs are found on the basic calculator, I need to fix them on the copied calculator.

2. Use the Current User system to differentiate functionality between users. Every user is fully packed with all features they may never see or use consuming more device's resources. Not to mention how to customize its look & feel.

In OOP world, I just inherit (sub-class) the basic calculator as parent app and add features on top of it as child app (this child can have new grandchilds on and on). And if bugs are found on the basic calculator, I DO NOT need to fix ANYTHING on the child calculators.

This's what I'm talking about.

Holy grail mate... 

From the insider info I've got, don't hold your breath.  ๐Ÿ˜ž  If we see anything like this, it's years down line.

Top Labels in this Space